LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Help Save the Mountains, PLEASE

The Current Occupant of the White House is urging a "clarification" of rules regarding surface coal mining. While the coal industry may call it surface mining or mountaintop coal removal, it is in fact blowing off the entire top of a mountain to scatter the coal and debris for easy mining. Yes, blowing up the entire top of the mountain. When the mountaintop is blown up, tons of rubble are shoved down the mountain through the valleys below. Habitat is lost for man and beast, and the environment is harmed forever.

Current regulation states that the debris cannot be dumped or pushed within 100 feet of a river stream. This is the regulation the Current Occupant and coal industry want the Environmental Protection Agency to "clarify." (Measure 100 feet and you find this is not a great distance.) Not happy with this restriction, the Bush Administration, on behalf of the coal industry is asking for clarification that the regulation was not intended to apply if the coal industry tried to minimize the damage to the extent possible. In other words, if you cannot limit the damage, then you are free to dump the coal waste directly into the stream, polluting the water and every creek or river downstream.

The change must be approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and several members of Congress and interested individuals are trying to stop the rule change. There are several organizations that are provide information and are designed to help you know whom to call or write. I'm asking every person I know try to learn more and stop this awful action. The rule change has been published in the Federal Register so time is of the essence.

The following Web site provides comprehensive information about this frightening issue: http://www.ilovemountains.org/. Here you can find a great deal of information and what you might be able to do.

I am very proud to say that our State lawmakers in North Carolina have introduced the first bill in the nation to ban the use of the mountaintop removal of coal. I urge you to get involved, even if you live in a state far removed from the rape of the mountains. What hurts the environment in one state hurts the environment in all of them.

Please go to the ilovemountains Web site and find out more about this horrendous proposal. Listen to Robert F. Kenedy Jr.'s testimony to the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming. We cannot allow the further destruction of the Appalachian Mountains and their people.



Does anyone really believe this mountain can ever be reclaimed? (Photograph from ilovemountains Web site.)

You may wonder why I have taken to calling the President of the United States the Current Occupant of the White House. It's quite simple. In view of the horrible and devastating changes he is trying to wreak on the environment during his waning days, I can no longer respect the man at all, and he is not worthy of my respect. He is not my President. And this has nothing whatsoever to do with politics. It has to do with the man and the actions of his administration.

12 comments:

Shelley said...

Unbelievable! Also - polar bear protections are about to be removed thanks to the "current occupant of the whitehouse!" I will go to your link. I think he's bent on destroying the environment before he leaves!

The Birdlady said...

Ditto..

Thistlebrooms said...

Thanks for letting us know the web site address...Much Appreciated...Always knew that about him!!!
Marilyn

Cheryl said...

Oh how you have my sympathy on this one.........to destroy such a beautiful area and pollute others in the process.....is just plain madness.

Here in the UK they are digging up huge areas to get at the coal.......many of them are near to tiny villages.....woodland has been ripped out and many areas of great natural beauty......Many people including myself have put our views forward.....it has done little good......those sitting at the desks in Downing Street do not want to listen.....

The world has gone crazy.......

Dog_geek said...

Ugh. We can't get the current administration out of the White House fast enough to suit me. So much damage has been done, and yet they are still in a rush to do more with what little time they have left. I can't wait until the new administration can start undoing some of these terrible decisions.

suziam said...

How about "unconscionable one" in the White House. Shame on him. Shame on them. Thanks for your post.

cedrorum said...

Great post. You know where I stand on this. I've never seen an administration rape the country so badly on so many different levels. It will take years to undo what they've done.

Mary said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Carolyn. I will check out the link. I've heard about this coming a while back...and it is downright devastating. Someone (we) need to stop this madness. He lost his mind a long time ago.

KGMom said...

Jan. 20 simply can't come fast enough.
You know, you'd think someone who is concerned with his legacy (as W is) would say--how will history view the guy who said "bring down the mountain tops"? But, NO. He says--blast away, and then he says--why does everyone think poorly of me. Doh!

Cedar ... said...

Great post! I'm with you on this. You know how I love my mountains. What a horrible thing to do to nature's beauty. I will add my voice to yours and others.

Anonymous said...

I cried when I saw the mountain. Our NC congress members do realize our tourist industry dollars. We may break free and be a small country;). I would not of course go that far...but the coal industry is mighty strong and spans both parties. I want to throw most of congress out and make them get real jobs. Live in real towns...oh...you don't really want to see this side of me.After all...It's my first visit. I'm Republican without representation.

I think calling your representatives is the best line of action. Most of the time, their staff answers the phone and relays the message. If they hear from enough of us! It will make a difference.

Karen said...

I've put the link on my Facebook page and Twitter and also emailed it. Will keep on top of this, that's for sure. Thanks for the informative post!