LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, September 26, 2008

Fridays are Golden

Having a pet is wonderful therapy. Studies have proven this over and over again. In this troubled economy and uncertain future, our dogs give us great comfort.

Since we share our property with all sorts of animals (some who live here and some who pass through), there are wonderful scents to be smelled every morning. After a long walk, our dogs are allowed to roam freely in the woods behind the house. Every single morning is the same. The girls catch the scent of something and follow it as if they were hunters. Sometimes they work as a pair, but most often they investigate things alone. I don't think they can differentiate the smells...deer, opossum, racoon, or bear, but they do know that something has passed this way and they are really interested.

Lucy is always the first in line.

Come on, you guys! Let's get going.
She waits patiently until we arrive.

I'm all ready to go. I can smell something already.
Ellie is onto something. She concentrates on following the mysterious scent.


Wonder who was here last night?
Ellie stops briefly to check out her surroundings.
It's always good to take a breath and reset your nose.
Lucy checks out the trees, always a good place to find new scents.
I'm sure this was really something big and important!
Lucy looks as if she just woke up.
Maybe I'm just not a morning person.
Finally, after thoroughly checking the back and pronouncing the area safe, the girls climb up to the house for breakfast.

Another job well done!
What a strange Friday this is. Such turmoil in the market and Congress. Very strange Presidential race. Still very little gas in the mountains.
-----We are pretty much confined to areas within walking distance of our house. But there is still plenty to do.
-----As we approach the last weekend in September, I hope you will have a safe and fun-filled one. Try to do something that makes you happy.

13 comments:

Dog_geek said...

Strange-feeling Friday indeed. I've been feeling very apprehensive about what the future holds, but like you, always take comfort in my animals. Thanks for my Friday golden-girl fix!

Diane said...

Beautiful dogs. Aren't they a joy!? Animals take the edge off of the insanity that's going on. You also have a nice weekend.

Cicero Sings said...

Dogs are such fun. Smells are SO wonderful for them! I'd like a dog (especially a soft coated wheaten) but D says not yet. We go to the coast (Vancouver) about every 5-6 weeks and it would be difficult training a young one ... not impossible but difficult. So whilst we still do these runs to the coast (for Mither) ... I have to wait.

Cara said...

Love your Friday posts about the dogs! I have two small dogs (minpin and min doxie) and try to take them on long walks in a park at least twice a week. They enjoy that more than our daily walk on the streets, although they like that too.

Sorry to hear the gas shortage is still in your area. But I have to say, with that magnificent land/woods, you are lucky to have roaming space all around you.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Beautiful, inquisitive dogs!
The fuel shortage is rampant here. Long lines and fights being broken up by police in the Charlotte area.
So sad!

The Birdlady said...

Good thing you have thta grooming table - your girls are always impeccably groomed, and running in the woods-----well, good thing you have that table!

Susan Gets Native said...

I have resorted to my old standard of dealing with a crisis...I'm not going to think about it right now. I will wait until I can handle it.


Your beautiful doggies make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Nick S said...

What beautiful dogs !

Kathi said...

I have been following the gas shortage in your area, and am hoping that you get relief very soon.

Love the dogs' photos - I'll bet they enjoy the "smell-o-vision" in your yard and woods.

~Kathi

MicheleRF said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, beautiful dogs!! And in these trying times isn't it nice to have something as stable and persistent as a dog's love. One of my favorite sayings goes something like-"God, please help me be the person my dog thinks I am."

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carolyn: Your Golden Girls are hunters, so they are doing what they were raised to do. My Pom an the other hand was raised to nothing so why does it follow a squirrel trail?

NCmountainwoman said...

Dog Geek - Amazing how calming it is to just spend time with a dog.

Diane - Thanks for dropping by. I agree, the animals make more sense.

Cicero - I love Wheatens, but I agree, you have to have the right time to get a dog.

c.s. - Thanks for dropping by. I think all dogs like to be "off the road" every now and then.

Twisted - The gas thing is absolutely nuts. Hope we can wait it out.

Helen - Yes, it is nice. We also have a separate entrance that leads directly to the tile foyer and grooming room. They know to head directly in there.

Susan - I'm much the same way. No need to become more frustrated when I can't do a thing.

Nick - thanks

Kathi - Yes, they do enjoy the smells. They criss-cross all over the place.

Michele - I love the quote.

Fishing guy - I don't think our girls would have any more idea what to do with a squirrel than your pom. But they are hunting dogs and a lot of their "cousins" really do hunt for real.

Mary said...

Carolyn,

Let's hug our dogs until all of this goes away...

They are beautiful.

Mary