LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, June 27, 2008

Fridays are Golden

Our Golden Girls are temperamentally very different. This was evident very early. When Ellie was in obedience training, she very quickly learned all the commands and with equal speed she obeyed them. She still does.

Lucy, on the other hand, had a lot of questions when it came to her training. She must have had a dozen questions about the command "sit." [Oh, you mean NOW? Where exactly? How should I sit? How long must I sit? Do I really need to do this? Does my whole body have to be still?] Lucy is almost three and while she obeys commands most of the time, she occasionally has questions about them. [Do these commands still apply when we have guests?]

I took them outside for some photographs yesterday afternoon.

Lucy, I have the camera. Look at me.
Just a minute, Mom. I think I found a bug.

Ok, let's try it on the steps.

I think I see someone walking a dog down the street.

Lucy, look at me.

Wait a minute. I think I smell something in the air.

Come on Lucy, just one good shot.

There, are you satisfied? You won't get much more from me today.

All right. Ellie, let's get one of you.

How's this, Mom?

That's great, Ellie. Can you hold you head up a little more?

Like this?

Thanks, Ellie. That was great!

We adore both of these dogs, different as they are. That also applies to our children, doesn't it? Very different but all wonderful.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

9 comments:

Kathi said...

What beautiful dogs! Thanks for the heads-up about your post today. I must apologize for not visiting before, but when I had dial-up, it took forever to post to my blog, let alone load and read others. Since my transition to DSL, I haven't gotten around to visiting everyone who has stopped by my place in the last year.

My two dogs have different attitudes, too. Holly, my mostly-Lab, believes that rules are black-and-white, no exceptions. If I invite her on the bed, usually a big "no-no," she can't relax and jumps off at the slightest twitch. For Grace, rules are "suggestions." If she feels like it, she will obey. If not, she will sit and stare at me, debating the relative value of responding or not.

Glad Lucy has learned "down." Ellie should be a model.

~Kathi

Shelley said...

Your dogs are beautiful - I think one of them is a daydreamer! (By the way - your rustic front door looks really nice from the bits I could see from some of your photos.)

Jayne said...

LOL... indeed, they are just like kids!

The Birdlady said...

Carolyn, those dogs are so gorgeous (thanks to genes and your amazing grooming room!), and this was just delightful. Thanks!

KGMom said...

Wonderful looking (and behaving) dogs. Love your explanation of their differences--and your dialogue.
Well, since we have only one dog, I think we shall have to get another to do some personality comparison.

Kerri Farley said...

What a fabulous post on your Golden Girls!

NCmountainwoman said...

Last year KatDoc did a series on training. I responded to her post about a problem I had with Lucy and the "down" command. (In her early training, she thought it meant, "sit and then Mom will push you to the floor.") Through her blog KatDoc gave me some tips and I quickly taught Lucy the command.

Kathi - thanks again for your help. It's comforting to know that even an experienced veterinarian has meaningful debates with her dog.

Shelley - yes, there's no doubt that Lucy is a dreamer. She doesn't miss a thing.

Jayne - not only are they like kids, they are like MY kids were.

Helen - a little grooming does pay off. Plus it keeps the house from being covered in dog hair.

KGMom - We had always been a one-dog household before we got Lucy. Two dogs are really not a lot more work than one. And they are definitely twice the fun.

Kerri - thanks.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I love the posts about your golden girls. They are such beautiful dogs!

Susan Gets Native said...

OMG....such lovely golden fluffiness.