LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, November 23, 2018

We Love Lucy

I hope it was a good week for everyone.  If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I'm sure you are still ready for a dinner of leftovers tonight even after all that feasting yesterday.  We had a quiet day and I fixed a whole turkey breast and a couple of thighs rather than a whole turkey.  It was moist and juicy (thanks, Ina) and we have plenty of leftovers.

We do not share any human food with Lucy except for the occasional treat of apple or carrots.  She is especially thankful when our little granddaughter visits.  She positions herself directly under the high chair and takes advantage of the errors a toddler can make in learning to use a spoon and fork.  Alas, no toddler yesterday and thus regular dog food for Lucy as usual.  She is now on a prescription diet consisting of both canned food mixed with kibble and she views each meal with great enthusiasm.  She never had canned dog food before this year so it is quite a treat for her.

I often wonder what sort of things go on in her head as she goes about her day.  As she ages, she seems to need more and more to be with us.  She follows my husband around all the time when he is home.  She follows me as a second choice.  She loves her big bolster bed in the den and often puts several tennis balls in it.  She rolls them around and also uses them as massage balls.  Although our Ellie loved her toys, Lucy never cared much for them.

Lucy in her bed



Stretching



And rolling



Back and Forth


You may notice there is a green bed next to Lucy's.  Yes, we still have Ellie's bed there and sometimes Lucy lies across both of them.  And yes, my preference would be to give the bed to the shelter, but it seems to mean a lot to my husband.

Today's quote is from Henry David Thoreau:

"I am grateful for what I am and what I have.
My Thanksgiving is perpetual."

Wouldn't it be great if we all were perpetually thankful?


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK, EVERYONE!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love seeing Lucy in all of her poses on her bed. She really is quite a beauty. So glad she is enjoying her new canned food diet. It really is such a treat. We had a quiet Thanksgiving here, and we were grateful!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! I cannot help but smile when I see Lucy's photos. I'm glad she continues to do well. What a treasure she is, but that's not anything you don't already know so well. But I find myself feeling a bit guilty when our dogs get up from a comfy spot and follow me just so I can quickly grab something I forgot before I sat down.

KB said...

Lucy makes me smile! She is gorgeous - with such a shiny coat. I think that her diet agrees with her.

With my dad living nearby now, we always have him to our house for holidays. I am thankful that he's alive and able to be with us. While you were on your blogging hiatus, he had a huge heart attack and his survival was a miracle. He's doing great now, and we enjoy our time with him.

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful that you are blogging again and feeling well!

Cheryl said...

Keeping the bed that used to belong to Ellie is touching.

I notice as Nella ages she need to be with me more and more.
I hear the pitter patter of little feet behind me most of the time.
Perhaps it is reassurance.

Lucy is beautiful. A blessing.

Nance said...

Lucy still looks quite hale as she rolls around and hits the right spot with those tennis balls.

I like to think many of us reflect with gratitude at the end of the day upon our many benefits. I hope so.

Vicki Lane said...

I have seen that same eagerness to be with you behavior in most of our aging dogs. It's touching and a little sad, especially when the dog was previously quite independent. (I'm thinking of my Maggie who in her youth loved to roam the mountain and come in only to sleep and eat. )

Arkansas Patti said...

That stretching pose made my back feel good. So glad she likes her prescription diet, a lot of dogs don't. What you are doing is certainly paying off. Hum, maybe I'll try some carrots with Callie. Nice healthy snack and right now she hopes but gets no people food.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lucy seems to enjoy rolling around and she is always a joy to see and read about on Fridays. Glad to read of your Thanksgiving celebration. We celebrated with family and traveled a bit to do so, but well worth the drive and thankfully the weather improved after we left NH.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm glad that you had a nice Thanksgiving together; I hope you're feeling well.
Lucy still has that cute puppy dog face. :)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

As always I loved the pictures and I was interested to see that you give carrots as a treat for Lucy. My daughter does that for her dogs too and they love it.

Joared said...

Glad you had a hapoy Thanksgiving. Looks like Lucy was quite contented.

Lowcarb team member said...

Pleased you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Lovely photographs of Lucy you've shared here.

All the best Jan

Tanvir Ahmed said...

If you want to get some confidential information about dogs, click here why do dogs eat their poop