LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, November 16, 2018

We Love Lucy

We have had very weird weather, mostly rainy and cold.  But today brings bright sunshine and clear skies and we are thankful.

A brief health update:  my blood cancer markers continue to be low (and normal) so the new chemotherapy regimen seems to be keeping the cancer in check.  That is very good news.  There is not much available data on the long-term success of this drug for ovarian cancer because it was only recently approved.  But I'm assigning myself to be best of the statistics.  If that turns out not to be true I will have lost nothing by remaining positive.

Our sweet Lucy remains positive all the time, assuming that good things will always happen.  She had some really great days while our seventeen-month-old granddaughter visited.  At every meal she positioned herself right under the high chair and reaped the rewards of a little one feeding herself.

She is still moving more slowly but is ever so much better on her new meds.  She loved the attention of more people in the house, assuming each one was here to pet her,  Our daughter is visiting now so she is still enjoying extra attention.

She does not like to pose for pictures



Ready to go back inside




Our little Violet was so gentle with Lucy.  She would toddle over, slowing down as she approached Lucy and holding out her hand to gently touch her her.  Lucy loved it.

Violet is a mover and shaker.  She hardly ever walks; she runs everywhere.  My son snapped this photograph of her in her dragon pajamas crawling into a Nordstrom bag.  He said he feared his wife was a bad influence.  I told him to be glad it wasn't a Tiffany box.



I hope your weather turns better.  And we continue to send positive thoughts to those affected by the raging California fires.

Today's quote is from Carl Sandburg:
I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes, 
So live not in your yesterdays, not just for tomorrow, but in the here and now.
Keep moving and forget the postmortems; 
And remember, no one can get the jump on the future.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK
HELP OTHERS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such great news about those cancer markers! Yay in every way. May it continue to be so. Love the stories of your grand-daughter and her gentle affection for Lucy. So sweet. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving there!

Cheryl said...

Such good new at this time on the cancer. If thoughts and prayers are positive, I give you mine.

I do love a dog and small child story. The gentle giant with the little doll.
So beautiful.

I always enjoy your quotes, they are an inspiration.

May your weekend be full of love and laughter.

Tara said...

I'm glad to hear of your good blood work outcome. You're absolutely right about that positive attitude: it serves you well no matter what.

That photo of Violet (what a lovely name) in the bag is hilarious! I love how small ones delight in bags and boxes for fun -- I can see their imaginations expanding as they play.

Yeah, the smoke here is awful and I'm stuck inside for the most part. When I start to pout about it, I think of those poor burned out folks a mere 90 miles north.

Wonderful quote, thank you as always.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for sharing your good news. I'll continue to send positive energies your direction! Lucy is so pretty! Yes, children and bags and boxes are such fun. That's another great quote. Me too, the people dealing with the fires, sending them helping energies, rain would be nice.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm so glad that you've gotten some good news on your health! I'm glad that Lucy is doing well too!!

What fun to have sweet Violet there to laugh and enjoy as the holidays approach! Take care, and Happy Thanksgiving - Can you believe that it's next week?

Vicki Lane said...

So glad you had Violet with you -- such fun! And I love the dragon pajamas! Best of all though is the good news from your doctor!

Nance said...

I continue to hope for the best for your health. Good news in any form is just that: Good News.

The Past really IS a bucket of ashes. Regrets and Guilt (Postmortems) are best forgotten. What a terrific quote.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I had such a giggle seeing her in the Nordy bag and the Tiffany comment. ;)
I'm SO happy that the trial drug seems to be helping you with your cancer fight.
This might be a personal question, but I know that you have a daughter so it came across my mind.....did you have the BRCA testing done?
I had it done years ago on myself because we have both breast and ovarian cancer in our family; it was negative, which doesn't mean I'll never have either cancer, but it's something that I can share with girls in their future health. I wish my Mom had been tested so I would know that for myself too.
Anyhoo....so glad you're having great family visits and good weather this weekend. Enjoy!
XO

Arkansas Patti said...

Wonderful news about the markers. Keep it up and positivity is a potent medicine also.
Violet being gentle with Lucy says a lot about both both nature and nurture.
I cracked up at her being half in the bag. Laughter is also a potent medicine.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

KB said...

I am so glad to read about those markers, and I love your attitude!

Violet is a special little girl with the combination of being so full of energy but also knowing how to be gentle with Lucy. That's wonderful!

You have lots to be thankful for (and we do too, knowing your good news!).

Lowcarb team member said...

A very positive post, good news about those markers.

Lovely pictures of Lucy and I am so pleased that Violet is so gentle with her.
With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I wish you a good one, so lovely that your family will be with you.

All the best Jan

The Bug said...

Yay on the cancer results! I agree - remaining positive costs you nothing.

I love that picture of Violet. I'm calling it "Not-So-Still Life: Dragon Butt in Nordstrom Bag" - ha!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I am so happy that the medicine is working for you. A positive attitude is a great asset too. Lucy may not like her picture to be taken but she's very photogenic just the same. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Joared said...

Glad to hear your test results. Also that Lucy doing well. Cute picture of little one in the box! Glad you can have company of your daughter. Hope you have a special Thanksgiving!.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Robin - Thanks. You and Roger went through quite a time yourself. So thankful things are well.

Cheryl - Thanks. We do indeed try to laugh a lot.

Tara - Yes, imagination is great. I absently handed Violet an empty tissue box and she had quite a bit of fun with it. She put little animals in it and shook them around and then our. Quite a lot of playtime from a tissue box. I hope the air starts to clear up with the expected rain.

Barbara - Thanks. I do hope California gets rain.

Kim - Yes, we do love having Violet here. Sometimes we all just sit around watching her play. She is lots of fun.

Vicki - I'm so glad you have little Josie so near. Our son sent a picture of Violet getting a bath to wash the cranberry sauce from her hair.

Nance - Thanks. I absolutely agree.

Suz - Yes, I did have the test for the gene and it was negative. I had no idea it could express as breast or ovarian cancer.

Patti - Yes, Violet was just adorable as she knelt when approaching Lucy, holding out her hand and saying gently, "dog."

KB - Yes. No matter what, we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Jan - Thanks

Bug - I LOVE the name of the picture! Leave it to a poet...

Ginnie - Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

Joared - Yes, it is so wonderful to find that you really like your adult children as well as love them.