LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, March 1, 2019

Rainy Days with Lucy

Following an all too brief respite, the rains are pouring on us again.  We seem to be stuck in a "green space" on the weather maps, indicating widespread rain throughout the mountains.  More landslides have closed roads and isolated homes.  We shouldn't complain.  It's a minor convenience for  us but it does indeed make for lethargic days.

Lucy looks out at my husband hanging the bird feeders

Lucy continues to be the same and we are thankful she isn't getting more lame.  She sleeps a lot and is reluctant to go out in the rain.  (Aren't we all?)  We keep the house cool and enjoy a fire in the evenings.  Lucy takes up a position on or near the hearth and soaks up the warmth.

Warm pup by a warm fire

The scan results were even better than we had hoped for.  The new drug is definitely doing its job and we are delighted.  The chest scan showed "something" in the esophagus but the oncologist assures us that whatever it is, it is not related to either the ovarian cancer or to the chemotherapy.  He thinks it is an abnormality caused by my other GI problems and is an incidental finding.  I will see my GI doc for a scope just to take a "look-see."  So the news is good.  We are optimistic but with a healthy dose of realism.  Lady Cancer is an absolute bitch and does not follow any rules.  But we take what we can and thank goodness for it.  Thank you all for your positive thoughts.  I do appreciate it and please keep'em coming.  This ain't over yet.

Our Violet is growing and learning like all little ones do.  My son says the most common conversations in the house involve the word "no."  From Violet it is said once, meaning she is not going to cooperate with whatever has been "suggested."  From my son it is repeated "no, no, no," as in "you cannot do that," or "you cannot go there," or "don't mess with that."  She is very clever and knows how to operate almost all of the many "childproof" guards in place.  Fortunately, she doesn't have to physical strength to overcome most of them.  But she knows the proper sequence of events needed to work them.

She loves to color and prefers the small crayons to the larger ones meant for younger children.  She even has tub crayons to write on the bathroom tiles during her baths.  She does seem to understand that her other crayons are for paper only and not for writing on walls.

The little artist takes her work seriously.



Today's quote is from the late Maya Angelou:

"No matter what happens, or how bad things seem today,
Life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK, EVERYONE
IT'S MARCH
SPRING WILL SURELY COME

14 comments:

The Bug said...

Yay! Hallelujah for good scans! Now if the weather will cooperate things will definitely be looking up!

Gene Bach said...

I hope you beat it, I truly do.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about your scan results. Yay!! Hope all goes well on the next test as well. About rain... we got three times the average amount for February here. We are all so waterlogged right now. I look at the weather report and sigh. Glad Lucy is staying comfortable. Violet is absolutely adorable.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm elated to hear of a good checkup/scan!! Wonderful news. I agree though, lady cancers are not to be trusted, so we/you have to be diligent and pay close attention to your body.
Violet is such a doll. I know that's my go-to when you share pics, but I can hardly stand the cuteness!!!
Glad both you and Lucy are doing well. Hopefully the sun will be shining over your home again soon.

Nance said...

So glad to hear good news regarding your scans. Cautious Optimism is understandable, but I hope you've allowed yourself that Joy! Sometimes I feel like I haven't had a Deep Breath in ages, if you understand what I mean. Taking one when I can get one is heavenly.

Kids and crayons--is there anything better? I always loved having the boys draw and colour.

KB said...

I am so very happy to read your good news on the health front. I will keep the good thoughts coming but I am so glad that you are well!!!!

I also am glad about Lucy. I love seeing her warm beside the fire.

I hope that your rain goes away very soon!

Arkansas Patti said...

Wonderful news about the tests and lets hope this next one is just as joyful.
Didn't know about tub crayons. Smart to make harmless ones for tiles. Future artist??
Think we are sending you more rain--sorry.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful news about the scan!

We had those tub crayon when our boys were little -- such fun. I love seeing Violet and Josie proceeding along -- we hear a lot of that nononononono too.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Along with cheering you on in your recovery, you are in my prayers and I send them and my best positive vibes!

Violet is so precious! What a joy and gift I know she is to your family!

Joared said...

Glad to hear the news about your scans. Such fun watching the little ones personalities develop.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing the good news about the scan results. It was good to read this. Also glad to read that Lucy has been comfortable and lots of rain can make anyone miserable but that fireplace looked like a good place. Our granddaughter is fond of the same word as Violet, now.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I'm so happy for the good news ! We've had nothing but rain here too and it's time for a break. Fingers crossed.

troutbirder said...

Good news indeed. Keep it coming. Mrs. T beat both Ovarian and breast cancer. At least now for many who suffer with modern treatment there is hope for many. My best friend Steve recently died from pancreatic cancer. Too little to late for treatment as it were. For me Mrs.T (Barb) seven years from her MCI diagnosis is now in Memory Care in Rochester. There are good and bad, ups and downs but this horrible disease is relentless. Now its a stage six of seven. Our motto for seven years has been we're a team and we keep on truckn....:
Troutbirder (Ray)

NCmountainwoman said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone. And for your good wishes.

Bug - Rain started again this morning to last through the weekend.

Gene - Many thanks.

Robin - I've stopped watching the weather. Stopped the news some time ago and just take it as it comes.

Suz - You are so right. It's a reprieve, not a cure and we will definitely keep watch.

Nance - I love watching kids and crayons. Imaginations are so wonderful in children.

KB - Thanks. We are very thankful Lucy is not getting worse.

Patti - Thanks, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't send us any more rain. It's pouring again today.

Vicki - Thanks. Yes, Violet and Josie are about the same age and both are delightful as they learn and grow.

Kim - Thanks

Joared - They seem to learn something new every single day.

Beatrice - We do love the fireplace. Putting it in was a good investment for us.

Ginnie - Yes, it has rained all over NC. We've got more today so watch out.

Troutbirder - I don't know how we would have survived the hip implants or the cancer unless we were a team as well. Like you we just keep on trucking... And it makes all the difference.