LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, August 24, 2018

We Love Our Lucy

Our Lucy has become more attached to us as she ages.  She is especially drawn to my husband and follows him around like---well, like a puppy.  She continually checks to see where everyone is.  Not allowed in certain parts of the house, she will peek in at the door to make certain someone is still in the room.  (She is very well-behaved and trained, but I see no reason to have to vacuum dog hairs from every room in the house.)  While never destructive, she is clearly more upset if both of us leave the house at the same time.  She doesn't want to be alone anymore.

Once again, she uses a shoe and a foot for a pillow



Lucy makes it quite clear when she needs a bit of extra attention.

Mom, I could do with some ear rubs
I'm reading right now, Lucy


If there is no response, Lucy gets a bit more in-your-face.

Are you nearly done now?

She is a clever dog.  And this pathetic look works almost every single time.  I recently read an article rating dogs on their intelligence.  While not rated number one, Golden Retrievers were ranked number four in intelligence, behind Border Collies, Poodles, and German Shepherds.  I don't have a lot of faith in the science of the ratings.  The article gave no mention of the process used to determine the intelligence.  Yet I think a Golden Retriever is just about right for us.  Smart enough to learn manners yet not smarter than we are.

Today's quote from Eleanor Roosevelt is very timely as we approach another election.  In her words:

The battle for the individual rights of women is one of longstanding and none of us should countenance anything which undermines it.



HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND

AND A GREAT WEEK AHEAD

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love seeing Lucy! She is so adorable with her head on your lap with that "give me some ear-rubs" look. Dogs are such loving companions.

(PS-- I just have to share this because your quote reminded me of it. You know how I collect handshakes. If someone mentions to me that they've shaken hands with someone famous, I reach out to shake their hand. And thus, my list grows. Last week a friend was visiting and she mentioned that she was once on a train with her family and Eleanor Roosevelt was on the same train. She shook hands with Eleanor. My hand shot across the table. Ah, I now have Eleanor and all who come with that amazing handshake!)

Carolina Linthead said...

I think German Shepherds are about as smart as it gets, yes. You look them in the eye and can tell they are working things out. They mess with your mind! Goldies, however, are just about perfect for a companion dog in my opinion. Great to see Lucy!

Arkansas Patti said...

I would have had to put my book down for that face. I think older dogs are like older people. They have traded play and excitement for comfort and security.

Cheryl said...

Lucy is such a darling. Nella has become more attached with age. She is 13 now, quite old for a Lakeland terrier. Rabbit chasing days are over, a comfortable bed and a nice long walk suit her well.

Lovely post.....her beautiful face poised on the chair would get me every time :)

Nance said...

Sigh. How I wish I had instituted Pet-Free Zones! What an inspired idea. Cat hair is the bane of my existence.

Eleanor Roosevelt is a National Treasure. Thank you for including her quote.

Joared said...

Dogs can give so much pleasure. Lucy looks endearing.

Tara said...

Awwww...I couldn't resist! Our golden has that way about him, too. He'll always let you know when and how he wants to be touched.

Our chihuahua, at 10 yo, is more clingy now than before. Boo, however, at 5, is not so much. Our kids seem to be pretty smart -- they'll listen when they want to and vise versa. What can you do?

Vicki Lane said...

Such a good girl!

The Bug said...

Aw - Lucy definitely knows how to use that fuzzy face to her advantage!

P.S. Love your footwear!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

She would be hard to ignore, that's for sure. My daughter's small dog will snuggle up in my lap but she hates playing 2nd fiddle when my attention goes back to the book I was reading. She tucks her head under the hand holding the book and butts her head up so I can't read … annoying as well as cute.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Robin - My mother-in-law attended a tea given my Eleanor Roosevelt. She was in "finishing" school and all the class was invited. My M-I-L had taken off her gloves and when she got to Mrs. Roosevelt in the receiving line, she suddenly remembered and stood there putting on her glove while Mrs. Roosevelt patient waited.

Mike - I agree about the German Shephards. But there never was a dog like our Golden Ellie. I still miss her like crazy.

Patti - I agree

Cheryl - Lucy still takes short runs off leash. But her interest in chasing squirrels off the deck is half-hearted at best.

Nance - Can cats be trained for no-cat zones? I'm also a great fan of Eleanor Roosevelt. In fact our Ellie was named for her...Dichi Sirius Eleanor Rose.

Joared - Oh, she does have some pathetic looks.

Tara - Yes, I think old dogs and old people tend to be more clingy.

Vicki - She is a pretty good girl. Obedient because she is required to be whereas Ellie was obedient because she knew that's what we wanted.

Bug - Thanks. I have another pair in bright blue. I love them.

Ginnie - Yes, it is hard to ignore but if I really do continue to ignore her she will go away to her bed. Then I feel bad and get up to go pet her a while.

Lowcarb team member said...

Once again some sweet pictures of dear Lucy :)

All the best Jan