LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, August 17, 2018

We Love Lucy

Friday rolls around so quickly nowadays.  We can already see and feel the signs of waning summer.  The leaves on the trees are getting a duller appearance rather than bright shiny green.  We still hear the loud katydid chorus each evening and the fireflies are still lighting the dusk.  But darkness descends a bit earlier each day.

We've had a short respite from the rain, but we are expecting heavy downpours and thunderstorms over the weekend.  We will have some flooded roads and a lot of flooded low-lying fields, but not as much flooding as some areas of our country are experiencing.

Lucy always has the right idea.  Just take it easy and relax.  Her preference is to have a soft pillow.  In the absence of a pillow, she will use a pair of shoes for her head.  And when we have dinner, she rests her head on a chair rung.  In fact, she doesn't like it when we have company and all the chairs are full.


It looks quite uncomfortable to me but she seems to like it.


We are seeing a second brood of some of our larger birds. (Many of the smaller ones have already produced three broods.)  Mrs. b commented that she enjoys the photographs of birds near our house.  So, mrs. b, this juvenile Pileated Woodpecker is for you.  (And the other readers)

Another beautiful girl to grace the trees

After holding out for such a long time, I finally joined Facebook.  To  my great surprise I quickly received "friend" requests from several of my high school classmates.  (Yes, high school.)  I am daily surprised at the vitriol they post.  Not all of them, but far too many of them seem so terribly angry at Hillary Clinton and President Obama.  They praise the actions of Trump and somehow always blame Clinton and Obama for anything negative he might have done,  (The rest is pardoned by "Trump is just being Trump.")

I become almost despondent thinking of their defense of this indefensible President.  They are not stereotypical rednecks or the people we tend to think of as Trump's base.  They are college educated and otherwise reasonable people. They honestly believe the lies they hear.  And they share posts that have been proven false time and again.  And mixed in with their political posts are VERY religious ones.  Almost every one of these Trump supporters boasts about having intense patriotism and deep Christianity.  They see no irony or conflict between their beliefs and Trump's actions.

In spite of getting a bit despondent when I read those posts, I still remain optimistic.  Why?  For the same reason I remain optimistic about having cancer...whether it ends badly, or whether it ends well, I have lost nothing and gained much by being optimistic,  I think Albert Schweitzer explained it well in today's quote:


“To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic.”– Albert Schweitzer


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!
HOPE FOR THE BEST


10 comments:

The Bug said...

I feel the same way about remaining optimistic. I see my like-minded friends in despair every day at the terrible turn our country has taken, and I just don't want to be in despair all the time. I want to believe in the pendulum and that we'll reverse the damage. Of course, it wouldn't do to be complacent either - be optimistic AND and activist!

Arkansas Patti said...

Understand your disbelief in how so many can be so oblivious. My sisters are in the devoted group and only hear and believe what they want to. Sigh.
Lucy takes her comfort where ever she finds it. Think I remember her resting her head on a brick and looking quite blissful.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've not un-friended all the delusional people on FB who think the president is almost walking on water...but I have used the "hide" button several times for their posts. It tends to let me enjoy reading FB. I also use the "hide" button on some of the more hateful anti-Trump posts. Both sides need to see their own foibles. I'm optimistic and sure hope this election in a few months puts major some changes in place! Be sure to check that you're registered to vote.

Cheryl said...

Lucy always makes me smile. I never tire of seeing images of her.

I have views on your President but I never discuss politics or religion, so forgive me for not making a comment.

As for FB, I joined six years ago. I don't use it so much these days. I am beginning to tire of it. Not unusual for me, I am quite fickle at times.

I feel Autumn as I enter the garden each morning. The light is softer and there is a chill in the air. It is my favourite season, so I will welcome it with open arms.

Vicki Lane said...

I have a similar experience with FB and many of my high school classmates. It's baffling. I don't unfriend or block them (except in extreme cases) because I think it's good to be aware of the other side. I do sometimes UNFOLLOW if they are really getting on my nerves an making me want to argue with them. I've learned that there's no point arguing with True Believers.

troutbirder said...

Some how Facebook and its like seem like people redoing junior high school thou they did have the words "defriend" in those days long ago. But cliques were part of the scene. Ugh...:(

Anonymous said...

I like the quote very much. I've been on Facebook for several years, but my interest in it has waned over the years. I prefer blogging and the longer personal stories. Fortunately, most of my Facebook friends are in the same political camp as I, so often I get a good laugh. We are living in very challenging times.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I completely share your wonderment with Trump supporters. I sponsor 4 girls in the AA program of recovery and 2 of them are avid Trumpers … it is very difficult to stay off that topic when we are sharing and is a small example of the not so subtle changes overtaking our beloved country. Is the almighty dollar the only thing of importance??? If any of them had a son, husband or father acting like Trump they would cringe in shame … Putin must be ecstatic.

Nance said...

I'm glad you are able to stay grounded in your Optimism. For the reasons you mention, it is challenging on so many fronts. Like robin andrea said above, I enjoy blogs for the longer personal views and stories, so I'll remain a non-FB user.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone.

Bug - You are spot on...believe AND act to make it happen.

Patti - I know just what you mean. I have cousins just like your sisters.

Barbara - I don't "unfriend" them either. In fact, it's helpful (although very frightening) to know that otherwise normal, intelligent people actually support this administration.

Cheryl - Not commenting on politics is sometimes a very wise thing. Yes, I do feel Autumn in the air around here as well.

Vicki - I agree with you wholeheartedly. Interestingly enough, I rarely post anything political on FB. And isn't it strange to hear from high school friends from so long ago? It amazes me and sometimes I have to wrack my brain to try to remember who they are/were.

Troutbirder - Amazing and so true. I have not given a single thought to most of these people and certainly they were not friends of mine in school.

Robin - I have no idea how these people "found" me when I joined FB. Perhaps I should not have listed my high school. It's almost as if they check to see how many alumni are on so they can "friend" them.

Ginnie - Yes, Putin has been doing the happy, happy, joy, joy dance for quite a while now.

Nance - I held out on joining FB for quite some time. Like you, I much prefer reading blogs.