LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, April 20, 2012

Fridays are Golden

I'm glad our dogs are not afraid of thunderstorms.  Because thunder boomed and lightning streaked across our house almost every day this week.  The Golden Girls actually seem to like them and we often sit on the screened porch watching the storm and listening to the rain.

Rain brings decisions about when to take the girls for walks.  We seem to choose the slack just before another downpour.  And the downpour starts the minute we get past the driveway.  So everyone comes in soaked.  We use a lot of dog towels during those days and the girls have fluffy hair afterwards.  (The term "dog towel" is used for the old frayed bath towels we have used over the years.  We don't buy special towels for them.)  While they seem to enjoy watching the rain, they definitely do not enjoy being outside in the rain.  They play indoors but mostly they sit and watch the rain, or sleep the day through.



Ellie looks out as Lucy snoozes.




Yet another photograph of Lucy using Ellie for a pillow while Ellie has been shoved under the chair.




It doesn't look any more comfortable from another angle.


It's hard to believe that more than a hundred days of 2012 are past and gone.  Sunday is Earth Day so take some extra time to enjoy Mother Earth.

Two quotes this week, both from Sydney J. Harris who was a great syndicated columnist:

"Happiness is a direction, not a place."

and this timely one:

"We have not passed that subtle line between childhood and adulthood until we move from the passive voice to the active voice---that is until we stop saying "It got lost," and say, "I lost it."


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE!!!

19 comments:

The Bug said...

I wonder what it means that in our house I say, "Mike lost it." Heh.

Rudee said...

Leo doesn't like going out in the rain, either. A snow storm is fine. Rain, not really.

Lucy is very opportunistic, but if Ellie doesn't mind, I guess there is no harm. I bet Ellie would miss the snuggling if Lucy weren't there to use her as a pillow.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Lovely post! I always enjoy the quotes you have chosen, and I love looking at your gorgeous dogs!

Taradharma said...

my dogs hate thunder - we don't get much of it in California so they never get used to it. And even going out to do their business in the rain -- very difficult. We end up with a lot of indoor "accidents" during wet weather. Bunch of babies.

The girls look lovely and fluffy and silly as always.

Have a great weekend!

Mary Lee said...

Love the pictures. I wish Miss Piggy wasn't storm-phobic. She hides in my closet and leaves her cocker spaniel smell behind.

The quotes are wonderful. I don't like the copout explanation "MISTAKES WERE MADE."

Sheesh!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Love those quotes so much.
Cocoa was never afraid of storms, but Ozzie came to us with a deep fear of rain/lightening/thunder. And it took no time at all for Cocoa to 'catch' this fear. The panting, pacing and panic on their little faces is heartbreaking.
Wishing you and your girls a dry and beautiful weekend!

Arkansas Patti said...

When my family was here visiting, I noticed I had more dog towels than company towels and I only have a little dog.
How wonderful the girls don't mind storms. It is so sad when dogs panic. They just can't be soothed.

Cicero Sings said...

Here it is Friday already. Mingus just barks at the thunder but doesn't seem to mind it ... at least so far. He doesn't like being out in the rain either. Does his business and heads in straight away. It's amazing how much time dogs can spend sleeping ... but when they go, they really go.

NanaNor's said...

Happy Friday to you! Love your girls, am so missing pups-every time I see on while we're on vacation I will talk to the owners and ask if it is o.k. to pet him.
I'm hoping our next furbaby isn't afraid of thunder either-almost all of our dogs have been and since we get lots of thunder during the spring and summer it would be nice not to have a terrified dog. Hug your girls for me please.Noreen

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello!! I'm glad that at the moment we don't have any pups afraid of storms. It's really difficult to deal with! Your girls have the right idea on how to spend them! We also have a big stack of towels that I have gotten from hotels who used to not mind giving to a good cause.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Ms. A said...

I wish my hair looked that good after being in the rain! Mine doesn't look that good, on a good day.

George said...

Snoozing seems to me to be a perfect way to spend a rainy day. We could use some of that rain on this side of the mountains.

Cheryl said...

Love the quotes.

The golden girls are like their friend across the pond. Nella hates getting wet and is not afraid of thunder. We have had a week of rain......I have lots of wet doggie towels too!!

Have a lovely weekend :)

animal lover, quilt lover said...

I have been lucky about not having dogs afraid of the storms for years now, but back in the 70's I had Bruce a GS who was afraid of thunder!!! I felt very sorry for him!!!
Our strawberries are so very tasty this years and we eat them a couple times a day. They take up a lot of time but so worth it!!
Thanks for your visit!

Vicki Lane said...

My old hound Maggie is totally terrified of thunderstorms -- so much so that when it's just cloudy, she begins to tremble. Lucky golden girls to be unafraid!

Toia said...

The pictures are adorable. My little doggie (Bambi) is not big fan of the rain. I think she is just a bit rotten anyway. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Barbaraa said...

I went looking for photos of crossbills and found "Fridays are Golden." Love the photos of your girls! Our Golden, Ajax, used to drap himself over his brother Woody just like your pups. Sigh!

NCmountainwoman said...

Barbaraa - I do hope you found all the Red Crossbill photographs, especially the feeding of the fledglings. If not, I will be glad to send you copies. My email address is cbpowellatcomporiumdotnet.