LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Won't Be Autumn Without the Pumpkin Pair

September 22 marks the Autumnal Equinox, the official first day of fall.  Here in the mountains we look forward to fall with mixed feelings.  The mountains that bring us the unbelievable fall beauty also bring us tons of tourists.  Our businesses rely on the tourism so we take that as part of season.  We are extremely fortunate to have so many backroads to travel...roads that tourists don't often undertake.

One road we must travel in order to get home from downtown is US 276, a very heavily traveled route that is well known for its potters and mountain views.  Every year a local shop puts together a pumpkin display next to the shop.  The tradition was kept even when the shop changed hands a couple of years ago.  I just loved rounding the curve and seeing the pumpkin people so friendly and hospitable.

Alas, the shop has been sold and the new owners have a car detail place.  The beautiful knoll on which the pumpkin people stood has a rental shed in front of it.  The place is an eyesore and I  hate it everytime I drive past.  The shop has one of the best views in the area and not only are there no pumpkin people, there is an ugly shed there.



So here are Mr. and Mrs. Pumpkin from a previous year.  Notice the gorgeous view behind them.




They waved to everyone passing by.  You would not believe how many people waved back.


I will miss the pumpkin people.  I miss the shop since I frequently popped in to buy something or another.  I'm sure that regular tourists will miss the pumpkin people as well.  Many of them marked their mountain trips with annual family photographs with the pumpkins.  I imagine they will be driving up the road and wonder, "Wasn't this where the pumpkin people were?  Did we miss them?"  Yes, and we miss them too.

16 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Ahhhh ... sad. Those pumpkin people are great.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE them! What a loss--replacing the unique with the mundane. Someone was very clever. It can't be easy to make waving pumpkin people.

Glad you took the photos.

Anonymous said...

What a clever pumpkin collection! So great you've preserved them in pictures.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

That's sad. They should have kept it going, no matter what kind of business is there.

George said...

This definitely is not an example of 'progress'. The Pumpkin People are cute and clever. I would gladly have had my picture taken with them.

Taradharma said...

I vote for convert ops, late at night, to build pumpkin people in a prime location!!

Folkways Note Book said...

Oh, a fine tradition in your area has disappeared. I just loved the pumpkin people -- I would wave back at them too. Even though I no longer have children at home my tradition is to set a big pumpkin out for my father, since passed -- he was born on Halloween. It is sad to see such a wonderful tradition in your part of the mountains disappear. -- barbara

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love the Pumpkin People also... I can imagine how much you miss seeing them... That's too bad there's such an eyesore in that area now.... Yuk!

Hugs,
Betsy

Vicki Lane said...

What a shame -- such cheerful creatures too!

Jayne said...

I am sure this season is both a blessing and a curse. How sad the pumpkin people are no longer there. :c(

Coffee with Cathy said...

I didn't even know about the pumpkin people and now I miss them, too! As always, thank you for thoughtful posts and gorgeous photos.

troutbirder said...

What a bummer!

Busy Bee Suz said...

The pumpkin people are awesome...I can't believe the new owners did not keep up with tradition! party poopers.

Golden Samantha said...

Oh that is such a shame - so sad, expecially on a knoll where the view is so beautiful. Sorry that had to happen. Love your header though - just gorgeous!
Hugs to the girls xoxo
Sammie and Avalon

Shelley said...

THose pumpkin people are so neat to look at - sorry to hear your cute little shop isn't around anymore!

Karin said...

Wouldn't it be fabulous if someone else, or even a few close neighbors took up the challenge to keep this tradition going? Those pumpkin peeps are totally amazing and a sheer delight! I'd be missing them too!!