LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, May 2, 2014

We Love Lucy


No sooner did we see our second hummingbird than we witnessed conflict between the two.  They twirled around each other like tiny helicopters and one of them fell to the deck.  Lucy was lying in her bed and watched the recovery.

Lucy reflected in the glass




 She attentively watches the little bird




 She stands and her tail wags each time the bird moves


It's hard to believe the first quarter of 2014 has passed already.  This winter and spring have brought very unusual weather to us here in the mountains and to many areas around the globe.

We have so much to be thankful for as we note how many people on our planet are suffering and dying.  Natural disasters have taken a toll and humankind perhaps a larger toll.  Our thoughts turn to those in pain around the world.

Today's quote comes from Maya Angelou.  They are words we should all heed.

"During bad circumstances, which is the human inheritance, you must decide not to be reduced.  You have your humanity, and you must not allow anything to reduce that.  We are obliged to know we are global citizens.  Disasters remind us we are world citizens whether we like it or not."

So think of your fellow citizens of the world.  Help those in need, here and abroad.


HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE!!!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely the season of hummingbird drama. The competition is fierce. Nice to see Lucy keeping an eye on that little one.

Wonderful Maya Angelou quote.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hummingbirds are back here too, but I don't have my feeder up because the Eastern Phoebes have claimed the spot for their nest where we hang it--I'll have to decide on a new place for them, they've just got to be hungry! I hope the little one that landed on your deck is okay.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Cheryl said...

I Love the hummingbird drama and hope the little bird recovered well.
Lucy is such a darling....how sweet to watch with tail wagging.

Indeed, there are many who suffer and we can only imagine how harsh their lives must be.
A thought provoking finale to your post.

Enjoy your weekend.

Lise said...

This is a lovely post. Thanks for sharing that quote. I love the photo of Lucy in the window, it's quite telling. I'm glad the hummingbird recovered:)

Arkansas Patti said...

Hope that little bird made it airborne once more. Lucy would make a good nurse.
Loved the quote. She is such a brilliant woman.

Ginnie said...

Those little hummingbirds sure don't live up to their sweet, small appearances. They can be vicious and zip back and forth in fromt of my eyes when I try to read on the deck. It's like they are saying "It's my territory so you get out of here".
Tell Lucy we all love her. Do you think you will ever get a companion for her

Carolina Linthead said...

Love this post! The pics of Lucy's reflection as she watches over the hummingbird are wonderful.

troutbirder said...

A somber but thoughtful post on this beautiful spring morning. On the narrow picture we are so thankful our grandchildren are here safe, from tragic circumstances in Ethiopia and Rwanda....

Busy Bee Suz said...

I never thought hummingbirds could be violent to each other!! I hope this one recovered well.
Love the quote. XOXO

KB said...

I love Lucy the nurse, watching over the little hummer. Ours have finally arrived but we have only an occasional visitor to our feeder yet.

I hope you've had a good weekend!

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. The hummingbird recovered quickly and flew off.

Ginnie - I wish I were ready for another dog but I'm just not. Lucy seems happy so I don't feel the need to get her a companion. My husband feels differently, though.

Troutbirder - Your grandchildren are so fortunate to be out of harm's way and with loving parents and grandparents.

Folkways Note Book said...

I hope the hummingbird is OK. Interesting Maya Angelou quote -- I have always admired her. -- barbara FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK