LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, March 10, 2014

A Few Flowering Shrubs



We have had several warm days and the very early spring plants are blossoming.  None are as lovely as last year due to the difficult winter they survived.  But we look forward to them all the same and enjoy them all the more.

Pieris japonica with its lovely flowers just outside the front door





Rather sad and weary Lenten Rose
Helliborus




Arnold Promise flowers are dwindling but the sweet aroma continues.This sweet plant has been blooming since early January.
They held on despite the snows.  You really need one of these plants.
The plant itself will be lovely with leaves and gives a nice fall color.
But yellow fragrant blossoms in the dead of winter?  Priceless





Another rather sad and weary bloom.
A camellia already browning upon opening.
Born a'dying as they say.

Every year I tell myself that I need to plant some spring bulbs and every year the time passes by.  I'm sure I would lose most of them to the deer, but I would love to have some crocus and daffodils.  Perhaps I'll remember come fall.



9 comments:

Ms. A said...

Wow, you do have some blooming going on. My yard is still in shock from the unseasonably cold winter (for Texas) weather that we've had.

Vicki Lane said...

I'm pretty sure that deer don't eat daffodils... I know that voles and other rodents don't. That pieris is lovely -- mine is still tight shut.

Going to the nursery tomorrow to see if they have witch hazel..

Arkansas Patti said...

You have talked me into Arnold Promise and it is on my wish list. Can't wait for dirt digging time.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I've always been fascinated by 'bulbs' that seem to come up from nowhere. :) Of course, there are none of them do well here in the south.
Love the colors that you are also enjoying.

Lise said...

They may be struggling, but they are still beautiful. Arnold Promise, I have to see about getting some of that. We don't have anything blooming yet, just lots of things budding. I hope the cold we are supposed to get later this week doesn't damage everything!

Anonymous said...

We have a front yard full of daffodils. Turns out the deer don't like them at all. Daffodils really do turn the yard into a spring-time wonderland. I hope you plant some.

KB said...

I agree with others - they are like a breath of fresh air, even if they are struggling a little.

Daffodils seem to do well around here - the wildlife let them be. We planted tulip bulbs the first year we lived here... and all the bulbs were eaten...

Tara said...

ah, signs of spring. we are wondering what kind and how many wildflowers we will get since we've had a record drought. But in my neighborhood there are plenty of various bulbs blooming, and like you, I always think of planting them and then miss the season. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just LOVE Pieris?! I have a couple that are gorgeous. I love the color of your camellia. All of mine probably 60 years old and in varying shades of red. Seeing yours, I think I'll look into a soft color. Do you remember what that is?