LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Another Talisman

Since I was a child I have always had a talisman, usually more than one.  A perfectly round rock from a dear child, a piece of glass polished by the sea, a round silver disc that says, "You've got a friend forever."  And this year for Christmas, I got two more.  I will not likely carry these in my pocket like I tend to carry the others.  They are Poppets, tiny hand-painted figurines.  Poppets are said to be magical,  filled with cheer and bigger on the inside than out.  They force you to be honest with yourself.


The "original" little red poppet.




With the clown poppet.




And a lovely watercolor drawing by the creator of the poppets and artist
Lisa Snellings Clark


The little poppets sit on my desk and remind me of childhood days of fairy tales and imagination.  I just love them.  Today's weather is very blustery with very high winds and driving rain.  Just looking at my little poppets and the drawing gives me comfort.  You can find more information about poppets here.



From the Poppet Web Page




Thanks, dear daughter, for a great gift.


13 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I had not heard of poppets -- what a sweet charm. I like the painting of it. I have an old Buddah, small wooden piece about the size of a walnut. He stays with me all the time. My mother got it in Panama (where I was born). Little treasures.

The Bug said...

Ooh I love them! I wonder if there's a penguin Poppet (probably not - ha!).

Barbara Rogers said...

Those are precious...I've also never seen them, but am going to keep looking for them now!

Taradharma said...

I'll go to the link to read more about poppets. I love the picture of the two of them gazing at the painting!

Ms. A said...

I need a poppet! Those are adorable and so is the artwork.

KB said...

I love the poppets and the painting. The notion that they remind you of childhood dreams and fairy tales is just wonderful!

Rudee said...

They're really sweet.

KGMom said...

That's a new one for me, too--poppets.
I love the photo of the poppets looking at the portrait of a poppet. (Plus it's fun to say poppet!)

Folkways Note Book said...

Charming little creations -- from a thoughtful daughter -- barbara

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love them all; so sweet and almost magical??? :)
I'm going to check out the link. What a thoughtful gift for a thoughtful person.
XO

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks, everyone for your comments. I do love seeing the little poppets. Lots of famous people have them, including author Neil Gaiman.

Dawn Fine said...

So very sweetM what a nice gift and Talisman.

Jayne said...

Some one else blogged about Poppets once and I got myself and a friend one. Maybe it was you?? :c) So sweet!