LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wind Chill


We almost always have a breeze here in the mountains.  This week we have had more than breezes.  We've had high winds.  Winds that would blow the topknot of the cardinals.




 I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky.





I saw the different things you did
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call
I could not see yourself at all. 




O you that are so strong and cold
O blower are you young or old?
O wind, a blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song.
Robert Louis Stevenson

13 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Poor ladybird! Love the poem and the wonderful pics.

The Bug said...

Cardinals always make me laugh :) Hope your wind chill isn't TOO chilly!

Anonymous said...

Lovely poems and photos. Hope your weather warms up.

Tara said...

beautiful birds.

Lovely ode to the wind. When my daughter was very young and we were driving in the car, she spotted crows flying and said, "Look! Like black hats blowing in the wind!"

Ms. A said...

Ha! Bad day for a topknot!

I think it would be easier to deal with the cold, without all this wind!

Lise said...

What a beautiful poem, I've not read that one before. I do love the way the wind has ruffled the Purple Finch's feathers (I think that's what it is). I also have enjoyed how the winds have made beautiful music with my chimes:)

KB said...

That is a beautiful poem, so perfectly suited to the images of the cardinal.

Vicki Lane said...

Such wonderful pictures! We have been bitter cold but fortunately the wind hasn't been bad.

Arkansas Patti said...

I can relate. I hate it when a wind ruins my do :))
Enjoyed the poem that fit the pictures.

KGMom said...

I can hear that female cardinal saying--oh, great. She finally has the camera on me, and what happens? I have a bad feathers day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's been cold and windy on the VA eastern shore with a good measure of snow on Wed. Anything over an inch is significant here and we nearly 5 inches. The birds were nit not happy at our place either.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Tara - Your little daughter was a poet herself. I'll look at cross differently now.

Donna - Yes, that's exactly what she said.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, my. I sure wish I could wrap a wool pashmina around her little body; so cute!