LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, January 6, 2014

Parallel Universe



Every now and then we come across someone whose life has been much like our own.  Such is the case with a fellow blogger and me.  Our paths crossed by reading one another's comments on other blogs which then led to reading one another's blogs and corresponding by emails.

Are we living parallel lives?  You figure.  The more we communicated, the more we found we had in common.  To wit:

We both live in NC and are not far apart in age.

I went to school and was a nurse for several years at the largest hospital in the city where she now lives.  I often played tennis in the same park that her husband now walks and plays with their dog.  She has driven through our town here in the mountains and shopped at "my" yarn shop and bookstore.

We have both driven the same make of car for years.  (Until Saturday when I got a different one.)

My husband practiced internal medicine for several years in a very small eastern NC town.  The very same small town where her grandparents lived and where she visited often.

We both lived for a couple of years in Greenville, SC.

We both lived in WI for many years and both our husbands were somehow connected to life insurance companies.

Both our husbands have retired.

We both love to read and enjoy many of the same books.

We both share the same political opinions.  Loudly and enthusiastically.  "I saw the same thing and thought of you" is a commonly shared phrase.

My son and his wife and her daughter with her husband and her family live in the same Indiana city.

My son and her daughter live on the SAME STREET in that city.


That city was inundated with a huge snowstorm yesterday.  This is a photograph of their street early in the storm.  My blogger buddy's daughter sent it early in the storm.
 
 
 
 
The snow got much worse than this


So is this all a coincidence?  Living in a parallel universe?  Or were we separated at birth?

Or just damned lucky our paths have crossed?  Isn't the Internet amazing?


22 comments:

Lise said...

Fascinating! I agree, the internet has made expanding our social circles a lot easier in so many ways...I've met so many interesting people through blogging. So far, I've met 1 in person though and I'm so glad I did!

Louvregirl said...

Hey! I live in the mountains of Appalachia too (in NC near the Tenn. border!) The internet is great! Enjoying your photos also. Will re-read your post to see what other things we have in common....
lg :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's pretty amazing to have so many overlapping connections. What a wonderful way to meet an "old" friend.

Louvregirl said...

Reading farther along in your post I see this commonality. I was born in Waukesha, WI and lived their for 28 years...

Louvregirl said...

One more you might laugh at :-) I just (for the first time) saw Bette Davis in Now, Voyager and I was mesmerized by this film! I loved it!

Cheryl said...

Yes the internet is amazing. I found my soulmate via my blog.

I have seen images of the snow storms on BBC News, absolutely horrendous.

We sre facing one storm after another (in the form of rain) in UK. Floods and gales seem to be the norm at the moment......

Ms. A said...

VERY PARALLEL, to say the least! How great is that! (and the same street is beyond believable!)

Carolina Linthead said...

The internet is SO amazing! I've made so many great friends here, and there are so many odd connections. We know bloggy friends who are from Ohio but live in NC, even as we are from NC and live in Ohio. I can keep up with so many of my former classmates, students, etc. And, when filtered with the proper discernment, it is a mind-boggling source of information. Here's to cyber friends, parallel lives, and being damn lucky!

Arkansas Patti said...

That is almost spooky but cool. How neat you got to meet and share experiences.

KB said...

Wow! That is incredibly cool. And the *same* street for your kids? Oh my goodness. I hope that you meet this friend someday.

I found a similar friend via my blog. I felt like we were sisters when we met although we do not have as many crazy similarities as you and your friend. The web is amazing.

kks said...

that is amazing! thanks for sharing! we are enduring negative temps…too cold to ski…warm and rain this weekend….wish we had the snow.
xoxo

Vicki Lane said...

That's a lot of coincidences. How fun!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my….how cool is that? I JUST love this. The internet can make our worlds just a bit smaller, that way we can get to 'know' people!

The Bug said...

Whoa! I've got the Twilight Zone music in my head...

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for you're comments, everyone.

Louvregirl - Thanks for dropping by. Always glad to find another Appalachian blogger.

kks - Even if you can't get out, you have that wonderful new home to enjoy with the view of the lake.

Tara said...

Wow. That's pretty amazing stuff. There is a cosmic connection, for sure.

Ginnie said...

Hey, I live in NC too...but I have to confess to not any of the other likenesses. However, I had the same thing happen to me and a blogger friend and we email weekly and have even met !

Anonymous said...

Well, dang! This is just refusing to accept my comments! I'll try again today.

I smiled all the way through this post. That is one lucky blogger to realize her parallel universe was synced with yours. Good thing she has enough sense to recognize a friendship, whether it's via face-to-face or cyberspace. Wouldn't a meeting be fun for both of you!

Oh--I'll bet both of you knit, too. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

All those coincidences are really amazing. I believe that at some point many people share similarities with others, but just may not have meet them (yet). You, however, have been very fortunate to have made a new friend.

Glenda Beall said...

Your coincidences are unusual, I'm sure, but I am beginning to believe we are all far more alike than we are different. However, we are still unique in ways that are important.
I am an Appalachian blogger, too, and recently found Lise's blog and then was fortunate enough to meet her. I seem to like those who enjoy nature, the mountains, and who appreciate animals and other things I cherish.
Blogging is a wonderful way to meet very interesting people, I've found.

JeanMac said...

It may be coincidence but I love stories like this.
Our son took a wrong bus to his hotel in Narita Japan and got chatting with an "older guy". Turns out the father is from England and his daughter lives in the same building in a very large city as our son does!

JeanMac said...

It may be coincidence but I love stories like this.
Our son took a wrong bus to his hotel in Narita Japan and got chatting with an "older guy". Turns out the father is from England and his daughter lives in the same building in a very large city as our son does!