LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bare Mountains


Almost everyone loves the beauty of the mountains.  Most people will tell you they love the autumn colors the most.  Some will tell you they love the varying shades of summer green.  And everyone loves the Christmas card snowy mountains.  I love the mountains at all these times.  But I also love the mountains during those winter days when there is no snow.  No leaves, green or colored.  Simply the bare mountains and the sky.


Cold Mountain looks cold even when there is no snow




 The distant blue peaks blend into the blue sky




 And the bare trees expose their burls and nests


Some people think it strange that I can travel the same roads again and again.  Looking at the same mountains again and again.  But for me these mountains are alive and ever changing.  I love to visit other places, but there is no other place I'd rather live.




9 comments:

Ms. A said...

I have a view of Cold Mountain from the NC property and I wish I could be there to see it! So glad you could share it with me!

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful there. I understand loving a place like this. When you stay and look long enough, the subtle changes are everywhere, always.

Tara said...

I understand! When I was traveling in your neck of the woods, I was transfixed. Those mountains are beyond beautiful and mysterious.

Carolina Linthead said...

Many moons ago, I hiked a couple of stretches of the AT in winter...one near Franklin, the other north of Hot Springs. Both times, the landscape was virtually devoid of snow, and yet so breathtaking! I loved the vistas of bare mountains, the peaceful beauty of rhododendron glades, the clear, cold nights...all of it! On the other hand, we had one ill-fated trip planned for the stretch north from Newfound Gap. Turned out that there were 3-6 ft. snow drifts. Beautiful, yes, but the toughest hiking I've ever attempted. After one day and night, we took a side trail down to Smokemont and phoned home for a ride. The mountains are ever-changing, and utterly amazing in all their facets!

Arkansas Patti said...

I too can enjoy the bareness of winter with the varying shades of beige. Earth tones are good. Of course, your mountain views are beautiful any time.

KB said...

You described your world so well. I feel the same about mine, although the predominant color at this time of year is white.

Lise said...

I agree with you completely! The bare mountains reveal every little nook and cranny, and the trees express so much personality with their winding, reaching branches. There's no place like home in the mountains!

Vicki Lane said...

This time of year we can see the true shape of the land. Like you, I never get bored of the same old places...

Peruby said...

I agree! A lot of my relatives and friends are like "Ocean, ocean, beach, beach!"

I'm like "Ugh, no!"

Give me beautiful mountains, fresh water lakes, trees, trees, trees!