LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Knit Wits

Last fall, my neighbor told me about a knitting group in our neighborhood and asked me to join. I told her I didn't know how to knit, and wasn't really interested in learning. Several other neighbors asked me to join and told me just to come and enjoy the fellowship even if I didn't knit. It became apparent that I needed to attend these monthly sessions or appear to be a not-so-friendly neighbor.

I decided that if I were going to join a knitting group, I'd better learn how to knit. So, I purchased some yarn and knitting needles, along with a simple instruction booklet and started knitting a simple scarf. With a little help from my neighbor, I was quickly hooked. I find knitting to be very relaxing and I get a great deal of pleasure in giving away items I have made for a particular person.

I mentioned that I've been doing a lot of reading and knitting in this hot and muggy weather. So I decided to show you my latest project...a beaded scarf. It looks more complicated than it actually is. Once you have strung on all those pesky little beads, the rest of the project is fairly simple, except for having to continually slide the beads further down the yarn, bringing them forward as you need them. This is for my daughter-in-law, who loves scarves as much as anyone I know.


Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined I would enjoy knitting. When I took it up, I figured I would knit once a month, at the knitting group (cleverly called the Knit Wits). I am very thankful that my neighbors were persistent. In addition to the knitting, I learn some really good gossip at these sessions. There's nothing like a knitting session to bring out interesting conversation.

10 comments:

Mary said...

I don't know if you have met Kate at Kate's Smudges or Ruthie at Nature Knitter (both on my blogroll). They knit great stuff and it looks like you are on the same path.

I knitted scarves in high school, and truthfully, I'd like to try it again. Maybe if we have a few weeks of straight rain, I'll have time...

When you're invited to gatherings/parties that immediately make you think, "no, thanks", it's good for meeting new people, at least. I have forced myself to go, too :o)

Mary

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That scarf is gorgeous!! I've been wanting to learn to knit since I went on a birding festival trip last winter with Ruthie at NatureKnitter. Maybe it's time for me to JUST DO IT!!

KGMom said...

Knit Wits--very cute.
I am also a knitter. I tried crocheting once--but it didn't take.
I learned to knit as a child--and have off & on continued. The family joke is that I promised each child a knit blanket for high school graduation. My son's got done by college. And my daughter is now in grad school--and the blanket is (um) progressing, slowly.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh this is a lovely scarf!!

Shelley said...

This is beautiful! You certainly have the talent for it! I've always wanted to learn..it looks hard...

dguzman said...

Kneat.

Cicero Sings said...

My Mom and Sister are the knitters in the family. I can knit and crochet but it didn't hook me in! Besides ... I am WELL supplied with sweaters, throws, table cloths ... you name it!

Cute name ... the Knit Wits!

Jayne said...

WOW, I am impressed Carolyn! Now you are an official Knit Wit? :c)

100 Thoughts of Love said...

This is beautiful with the beads!!! I can knit a straight long scarf...just one stitch...knit, knit, knit, etc...I don't think I would have patients to do that!

Unknown said...

Hey Carolyn I'm catching up on some reading and wow this scarf is beautiful! Your daughter in law is going to love it. I haven't knitted since my boys were little. I may have to take it up again now that the new grandchild is on the way. :)