LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, July 21, 2008

Songcatcher

Did you happen to see the movie Songcatcher? If not, you may want to rent it. It is quite entertaining, and provides a good look at old mountain culture and music. I really enjoyed the film and the music.

So I was excited to learn that the Cradle of Forestry would be presenting a Songcatcher's Music Series at the amphitheater this summer. The Cradle of Forestry is a short drive and an inexpensive way to spend a day. For special events such as the Songcatcher's series, the admission is $6.00 per person.

We arrived a little early and found lots of people already picking out their favorite spots. Most of them had lawn chairs and were sitting in the woods behind the seats of the amphitheater.



Is it just me...or does everyone seem to be 50 and over?


The singers for this performance were Buddy, Carol, and Jamie, a trio from Asheville, NC. They specialize in three-part harmony and sing standard country, bluegrass and mountain music.

I very much enjoyed the music, although I wished for more of the really old mountain music. The rest of the audience seemed to prefer comtemporary country classics.


The crowd was animated and seemed to love the music. There was much clapping and foot stamping and everyone had a good time.
After a while, I decided I wasn't going to hear some of my "songcatcher" favorites, so I settled in and enjoyed the atmosphere and the music. When I got home, I listened so some Joan Baez early ballads and felt satisfied.
This summer, look around your area. I'm sure there is so much available to you, so take advantage of your local talent.

8 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That looks like such a nice amphitheater. I love outdoor music. Thanks for he movie suggestion. I'll look for it.

Cicero Sings said...

Yep, the crowd seems mostly 50+. Looks like a nice way to spend the evening.

The Birdlady said...

Fun night -

Jayne said...

What a fun venue for music. Sounds like a great time. :c)

Unknown said...

Carolyn, sorry I have been away to long. thank you for introducing me to Songcatcher! I am going to add this to my Netflix. My husband will love it. He is always picking up CD's of this kind of music.
A friend of mine lives in Ashville and all she talks about is Salsa music and the Latin dancing. I was beginning to think all of NC left it's roots behind.

100 Thoughts of Love said...

Hi... I love your blog. I am lucky enough to get to visit the Grandfather Mountain area, but not as lucky as you to live there! We also hope someday to retire somewhere in North carolina. i will check back to you often. Thanks!

NCmountainwoman said...

Lynne - Yes, it is a nice setting and I think you will like the movie.

Cicero - It was very pleasant.

Helen - It was fun. Would have been much better if they had played the REAL old music.

Jayne - Yes, it was.

Toni - I hope you and your husband like the movie and the music half as much as I did. There are several interesting plots and good insight into the mountain ways of doing things.

Pat - Thanks for dropping by. I'll look up your blog as well.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I love outdoor concerts.
We used to attend regularly in the town we moved from. Here, it doesn't seem to be as popular.
I miss it.