LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Birds and Berries Update

The little Red-bellied Woodpecker is getting some red coloring on the head. Mom and Dad are still feeding the little one, who is getting bigger and bigger. No trips to the feeder yet.




This little Carolina Chickadee looks a bit weary. It's been a summer filled with laying eggs, protecting the nest, feeding, and fledging. And without any relief, the process starts over again.
As for the blackberries. They are well on their way to becoming my cobbler. It won't be long now.



The summer days are simply flying by. So many birds and so much nature to watch and so little time. I do hope all of you are enjoying the summer and storing up memories to take you through the winter.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Yep, birds are weary. We're all weary. Like you, I cannot brain today. I have the dumb.

Really, I do :o) Good night.

Shelley said...

Birds & Berries - a great combination!!

Cicero Sings said...

When we lived at the coast we had a gazillion blackberries at our disposal ... now we live in the north and there is nary a one. No flavour quite like the blackberry!

Jayne said...

It is flying by... this morning, it was almost, dare I say, crisp feeling as I went out to get the paper. I love the four seasons though. Just when I am weary of one, another one starts and there is relief.

Ruth said...

Yes, a bird's life is a constant search for food and ongoing reproduction. Yet they still sing! I have never seen a Carolina Chickadee.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I always make blackberry cobbler for my husband's b-day.
It makes it easy to remember to check for them.
Next week--yippee!!!!!

Kerri Farley said...

Yes, summer in flying by but I am taking LOTS of pictures. Love to see your birdies....and would love to see the cobbler when you bake it :)

Anonymous said...

Blackberries are like drugs for me. I cannot just have one. Wild ones are always tastier.

The Birdlady said...

My gosh - you mean the brds are leaving some for you?

NCmountainwoman said...

Bird girl - I have always believe the bluebirds have the most difficult prolonged nesting season. No doubt they are pretty weary.

Mary - Don't worry. It's perfectly all right to have the dumb, especially after what you have been through.

Shelley - Thanks. I love both of them too.

Cicero - What! No blackberries? Perhaps you have raspberries there.

Jayne - We love the seasons as well and look forward to each.

Ruth - How true. And still they sing! Should make us a little less whiney.

Nina - Can't think of a better birthday dessert.

Kerri - Isn't digital wonderful? We can make snapshots endlessly to shore up our memories.

Science guy - I agree. The store-bought ones are more attractive, but nothing beats the wild ones for taste.

Helen - The birds don't seem to have found this patch. Or perhaps they are waiting for them to ripen.