LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Birds at the Feeder

We are in the midst of a heat wave. It's hot and sticky and the air is stagnant and still. There are several groups of people who have my sympathy in this weather. Obviously, the people who have no air conditioning and/or who have to work outside paving or roofing. I also feel sorry for the families who have come to the "cool" mountains to camp, only to find the temperatures reaching the 90s and the rivers too low to do much tubing. I feel sorry for the kids in our many summer camps whose parents have paid several thousand dollars for them to attend camp in the mountains. And I REALLY feel sorry for the camp counselors who have to contend with these kids who are hot and perhaps a bit whiney.

As for me...well, it's not all that bad. Being retired we have the luxury of doing very little. I've been reading The Sisters, The Saga of the Mitford Family, a biography by Mary Lovell. It's quite fascinating. And I've done a little knitting. And I've done a lot of birdwatching without hiking to find the birds. Here are some of our common birds at the feeders.

There's almost always an American Goldfinch.


cAnd a Carolina Chicadee


The Towhee is rather unusual at birdfeeders, but we have one that visits almost every day.

These three seem to be getting along fairly well.
And these two little Titmice seem to be having fun dropping seeds and watching them fall. I have no idea what they are thinking.

And finally, a rather tired-looking White-breasted Nuthatch. This summer of nest building, egg laying, hatching and feeding has taken its toll.

I hope your weather is much better than mine. If not, I hope you have some leisure to just enjoy the birds and stay cool.

10 comments:

100 Thoughts of Love said...

Ahhh, the goldfinches are beautiful, i have never seen one of those here in the deep south...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I hope the heat breaks for you soon. Heat and humidity really saps one's energy. Love the Towhee. Both he and the Titmice would be lifers for me.

KGMom said...

Love the photo of the birds dropping bird seeds. Reminds me of kids when they first discover gravity!

Jayne said...

It's 98 in the shade here too Carolyn. Ugh. Too hot to breathe, esp. with the humidity. Love all your feeder birds. :c)

The Birdlady said...

I guess it must be hot pretty much everywhere...but I'd rathr be hot than cold! And your beautiful little visitors don't seem to be minding...lovely photos.

Mary said...

Carolyn,

We had a nice rain last night after a daytime high of 98. Now, back to the stickies.

Odd to have a Towhee at a feeder... What are you feeding them? Sunflower hearts?

Your Titmice comment made me giggle. They are sassy little brats, aren't they?

Mary

NCmountainwoman said...

Pat - I think they are around in most of the south.

Lynne - Amazing, isn't it? My common birds are your lifers, and your common birds are mine.

Donna - I loved that as well and they did remind me of babies learning to follow objects.

Jayne - I hope we all get some relief.

Helen - I agree. After 20 years in WI, I'll live with some heat.

Mary - I just found out what has been attracting the Towhee. When the woodpeckers (and squirrels) have eaten through the suet, my husband crumbles some and puts it in the seed tray. Glad you got some rain.

Shelley said...

Hope a cool breeze comes your way soon! The photo of your birdies dropping the seed made me laugh - what ARE they thinking??

dguzman said...

What beautiful photos! I wish a towhee would come to my feeders. I've had to stop filling them in the hopes of shooing off the RWblackbirds and the grackles. They come in, empty all the feeders, and then complain loudly for more food.

Ruth said...

What an interesting variety of birds at your feeders. Our summer has been cool and wet and the rivers are at spring flows. I have never seen a Towhee, Titmouse or Carolina Chickadee.