LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, September 29, 2014

The Birds Make a Difference


We have two great vantage points for bird watching.  One is on our deck and the other is the screened porch beneath the deck.  For the most part the birds ignore us even when we are sitting on the deck and they don't seem to see us at all when we are on the porch.  Occasionally a bird will "scream" at us to go inside so they can eat in peace.  Gazing into the woods gives us a peace that helps us overcome our Nation's woes and the cares of the world.

Red-bellied Woodpecker




 Abruptly taking flight, seeming to push off with her feet




 Backlit Tufted Titmouse is losing its tuft
Parasites can cause the feathers on the head to come out, leaving the bird almost bald.
They seem to recover each time.


We're having rain here like most of the Southeast.  We are enjoying the steady drizzle.  Today will be a good day for knitting or reading.  Or maybe a walk in the rain.



14 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love that last image, so pretty.
Your capture of the woodpecker taking flight is amazing.

I walked in the rain today with nella.....soft rain and it is warm :)

There are so many problems in the world I find it hard to reach for a newspaper these days......

Golden Daily Scoop said...

So pretty and peaceful! Enjoy your day!

Ms. A said...

Enjoy the books, knitting and beautiful birds!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the rain and all the beautiful birds you have there. Sounds like a perfect fall day.

Arkansas Patti said...

Really like that push off shot. My hummers are dwindling down and I think now I am just getting migratory ones. Nothing like the earlier mob scenes.

The Bug said...

As you know, we're all about the birds in the Bug household :)

We could use some of your rain... Very dry up here right now, after a nearly perfect summer.

Mary Lee said...

My Dearly Beloved put out grass seed Saturday and was thrilled with our slow drizzle of yesterday.

I was pleased, too. Now I'll go out and try to dig out the wisteria growing in my flower bed. It's a hopeless effort--I've been attacking it for years, but at least the wet ground will let me dig deeper without worrying that I'm going to break my shovel.

Knitting and reading. Woman, you know how to live!!!!

troutbirder said...

When I get to busy with things I like that occasional rainy day too. Reading you know....:)

KB said...

I feel the same way about the wildlife, including the birds. I remember 9/11, sitting inside watching the horrific stuff on TV. Then, I went outside and the birds were singing and flying around happily. Somehow, that made me feel a little better, like one small corner of the world was still right.

Wonderful photos of your beautiful birds.

Carolina Linthead said...

LOVE! Thank you...so sweet to see the precious birdies. We need rain up here...getting too dry. Our birdbath gets refilled multiple times a day. Hoping to see more woodpeckers this fall!

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful captures!

Ginnie said...

I think it's so funny when a bird tries to threaten us with their screeching ... unless it's those pesky hummingbirds who come way too close !!

Tara said...

Beautiful pictures! A perfect dat.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Cheryl - I know just what you mean.

Patti - Hummers are still going strong around here.

Mary Lee - There are so many acorns falling that I am glad we don't have any grass. Hard enough to keep them swept off the deck.