LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, September 15, 2014

Dwindling Days


One more word about honey and dogs.  The honey should be local honey, not the honey you purchase in the grocery store.  So find a market or beekeeper in your area and buy the honey from them.  We give Lucy a teaspoonful twice a day and she weighs about fifty pounds.  You would obviously adjust the amount based on the size of your dog.

Summer days are waning here in the mountains.  We are having brisk mornings and evenings and some of the trees are beginning to turn.  We're watching for the migrant birds to pass through while we still enjoy our year-round birds as well.


Poor cardinal looks a bit ragged after a summer of nesting.




 We have tons of hummingbirds as the northern birds migrate south and join the ones who summered here.
There a lots of fights and disputes among them.




 The katydids are still noisy in the evenings, but they seem fewer in number



We love the changing of the seasons and look forward to the beginnings of each.  We are especially glad that our seasons are relatively mild with the summers not too hot and winters not too cold for the most part.  So we enjoy four distinct seasons without the savage weather of any of them.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the katydids. After moving from the foothills to the coast, we left behind that wonderful nighttime chorus. I may go find an audio file online just be reminded! The transition from summer to autumn is one the most beautiful. That, and winter to spring. Those days of equal light are so beautiful.

Arkansas Patti said...

Me too on the tons of hummers. I leave my feeders up thru Oct for the migrating ones. Sure am enjoying these cool days.

Ms. A said...

I'm not ready for winter, but I am ready for Fall! Bet it's really getting beautiful in your area. Wish I was there!

Carolina Linthead said...

Sending hummers your way as fast as we can fatten them up...and yes, your tips on the honey apply to dogs and humans...always better to eat the local stuff, as it helps combat allergies, etc. My dear cousin, the vegan, taught me that. Now if he could just teach me to play guitar... <3

KB said...

I've heard the same thing about local honey for human pollen allergies. It didn't work for me but I wonder if it might help with R's allergies. I think I'll try it next year.

Our numbers of hummers are going way down but I always leave my feeders up for any stragglers or lost ones. One year, we got a totally lost non-native hummer species here in October, and he stayed at our feeder for days. I hope he made it back on track!

How Sam Sees It said...

I'm so looking forward to the cooler weather - it'll be nice to have unlimited time outside and actually walk and ride. Not just token efforts, but long rides and wandering walks. I'm keeping the honey in mind for our pups.

Monty and Harlow

Cheryl said...

Poor cardinal, he does look a little tatty around the edges :)

I do so love your hummingbirds. They always looks so fragile......
I remember when I visited the States a few years ago, seeing hummingbirds hovering above the feeders, for me, was a highlight of the holiday.

Tks re honey.....I had guessed that was the case, have a bee keeper around a mile away from my home ....perfect :)

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Robin - sometimes they are so loud we can barely talk on the porch.

Patti - we take our feeders down in November if we go two weeks without seeing a hummingbird

KB - yes, they leave you earlier for the long flights

Vicki Lane said...

Cool, maybe even chilly breezes are coming through our windows and we are Loving it!