LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Lucy Update


Thanks to all of you for the good thoughts.  Lucy stayed overnight and did not have another seizure.  All her blood work and x-rays and all other findings were normal.  That leaves  us with no diagnosis right now.  It's possible that it could be an isolated seizure that will not recur.  Realistically, that is not likely since there seemed no cause for the seizure, and idiopathic seizures are uncommon at her age (nine).  She's had no febrile illness, no toxins, no poisons and no excessive exercise in the hot humid air.

So the plan is to resume her normal lifestyle and continue to watch her.  If she has another seizure they will keep her overnight at the hospital and start the anti-seizure drugs IV.  Then we would bring her back home on pills.  And we would likely undergo more tests, especially a brain scan.  Unfortunately a central nervous system tumor is a real possibility.  If that's the case, the seizures will recur and be more frequent.

So we will continue on with life and hope for the best.  That's really all any of us can do, isn't it?


13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I will continue to keep Lucy (and you all --since I know how hard this is on you too) in my prayers... Please keep us posted. God Bless.

Hugs,
Betsy

How Sam Sees It said...

We will continue to keep her in our prayers.

Monty and Harlow

Cheryl said...

Lucy and your good selves will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I know that you are such caring dog owners, she will get the best care.....

Ms. A said...

Continued prayers.

Arkansas Patti said...

I will continue to pray that it was an anomaly and she can continue on as normal. It is so hard when they can't tell us.
Please keep us informed. I look forward to my Lucy fixes.

KB said...

I hope with all my heart that it was an anomaly. If it's any consolation, we had an 11 yr old Lab who had a brain tumor, but she had many small "events" prior to anything that looked like a classic seizure (and prior to the dx). To my untrained mind, it makes sense that there would be a noticeable progression starting with small CNS events if a tumor started small and was growing.

That reasoning makes me feel hopeful that it was an anomaly for Lucy. But, as you said, "all any of us can do is continue on with life and hope for the best" - that's true every single day. Enjoy your girl as much as you can.

I've been thinking of you ever since I read the first post about Lucy. I truly hope that Lucy has lots of healthy time ahead of her for her sake and yours.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my, poor Lucy. I'll keep her in my prayers. Please keep us updated.
XO

NanaNor's said...

Hi, I was so shocked to see this-praying for your sweet Lucy. I am hoping and praying that it is the first and last she has. Our last dog Reggie, has a grand mal in August one year and the prognosis was not good-due to his age(I think he was around 11); the vet didn't paint a good picture at all, but Reggie lived another 8 mos before something else caused his passing.
Praying for peace for you friend.
Hugs, Noreen

carolina nana said...

My little poodle ,Dolly, started having seizures several years ago. My vet suggested I stop using Advantix or Front line on her and she hasn't had another one since.
It is hard to battle the fleas without it but I don't want to take the chance of giving it to her again.
Good Luck maybe Lucy won't have another.
Blessings
Marilyn

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, no! Your comment on my blog sent me racing over here to see what was wrong with Lucy. I do hope it it can be resolved soon and satisfactorily and will be watching for updates.

Willow said...

Sending love and well wishes for Lucy.
Dog are so much more than some people realize ,so much a part of our hearts and families ~ we understand.

Anonymous said...

Hoping it was just an anomaly and she will not have any recurrence. She's in such good loving hands.

Mary Lee said...

The Power of the Paw. . . I love that. And ain't it the truth!!!