LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Start Writing and Calling



Unprecedented in our history, a law is being held hostage.  A law; not a bill.  One that was passed by the Senate and Congress, signed by the President and has been tested by the Supreme Court of the United States.  The hostage takers have shut down our government, whose very operation is their job.

Much as I fear the effects of the shutdown, I firmly believe we cannot allow this behavior to prevail.  What law will be held hostage next time?  And I assure you one will.  Will it be removal of the Civil Rights Act?  Or laws protecting minorities?  Or laws protecting women's rights?


Political Cartoon by Mike Luckovich


I know that some of you may not agree and that is your right.  But I do encourage everyone to learn as much as possible about the consequences of this shutdown.  Go to all reliable sources and get informed.

And then, regardless of your position, I urge you to contact your Representatives and Senators and let them know how you feel.  If you have already done so, another contact won't hurt.  You can find contact information about your Representatives at http://www.house.gov/ and your Senators at http://www.senate.gov/.

The voice of the people is crucial to an end of this standoff.  Make certain your Congressman or Congresswoman knows you are from his/her district and that you vote.  Write the others and tell them you are from his/her state.  Don't just rant and rave.  Give honest talking points in a calm but determined manner.  And try not to blow up when you get a canned answer as I have.  Keep your eyes on the prize.  You may think your one voice doesn't matter, but it does.  E pluribus unum.  Out of many, one.



14 comments:

The Bug said...

A former priest of mine posted a link to some talking points that the Episcopal church (Episcopal Policy Network I think) has drafted so we can sound coherent when we write to our representatives. I didn't take the time to sort it out yesterday - but I'll do it today. You're right - silence is NOT golden!

Rae said...

Yes, I absolutely agree. I have already sent my emails off. This shutdown has really irked me. What a bunch of imbeciles we have for lawmakers.

Carolina Linthead said...

Not only is the ACA being held hostage, but the debt ceiling as well. Here is Speaker Boehner's laundry list for raising that: "In return for a one-year suspension of the debt ceiling, House Republicans are demanding a yearlong delay of Obamacare, adoption of House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s tax-reform plan, construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, more offshore oil drilling, more drilling on federally protected lands, looser regulations around ash coal, a suspension of the Environmental Protection Agency’s regulation of carbon emissions, more power over the regulatory process in general, reform of the federal employee retirement program, changes to the Dodd-Frank Act, more power over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s budget, repeal of the Social Services block grant, expanded means-testing for Medicare benefits, repeal of the public health trust fund and more." From Ezra Klein, Washington Post and MSNBC (cue the rant against "liberal media" ;-) Excellent post, my friend. Time to act!!!

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you for the call to action. 've done my ranting -- time to start emailing and calling.

Arkansas Patti said...

I have all ready contacted my Representatives You raise a point that I hadn't considered that they are doing this over a law, not a bill. Scary huh?

KB said...

I had to come visit because I knew that you'd have some sage words for us at this time. I will contact my representatives... but I believe that they are already voting as I want them to.

troutbirder said...

Indeed. I've passed beyond anger to contempt....

Regenia said...

I, likewise, do not understand any of this. I do no know of any other job in America where you could: 1) read children's books, tell jokes, etc., anything because you do not agree with you co-workers. 2) Still get paid to "work" in that way. 3) Make decisions to put thousands of people out of work (and they probably had to actually work) but make sure you still get paid. 4) Do all of this because you do not like the work that was done before you were an employee. We need new vocabulary to talk about all this. I haven't found words I think appropriately sum all of this up. I do not know a word that incorporates obstinance, arrogance, callousness, extremely simplistic thinking, and a good number of other things I am not listing here!

Mary Lee said...

I am angry at the way the media has been reporting this. They're so afraid they'll be called "liberal media" that they're bending over backwards to report it as a simple case of not being willing to compromise. If Wolf Blitzer asks one more time shouldn't the President call everyone in to sit down for give and take, I'm going to scream. This shutdown is crazy, cruel, and completely unnecessary. It should be reported as such.

The lunatics are running the asylum.

Carolina Linthead said...

What Mary Lee said!

Anonymous said...

Great comments here. I have nothing to add other than my own shock and dismay at the times in which we find ourselves. So disappointing.

Janie said...

"Take away affordable health care for millions of Americans, or we'll shut down the government." Yep, the loonies are on the loose. I've already contacted my Congressmen.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I think an Indiana Republican Congressman expressed the climate best when he said they would not be disrespected. That they must win something although he doesn't know what that is.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My opinions is also the same as many have posted previously, ranting and r,aging and being angry does not work. while emailing and or calling representatives is an outlet, it doesn't seem to bring a quicker solution, sadly.