LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, October 7, 2013

Laughingstock

 
 
You know your state really is a laughingstock when you appear in the Sunday Funnies.  And so my own dear North Carolina was the subject of yesterday's Doonesbury cartoon.
 
 
(Click the picture to enlarge)

 
Here is the text:
 
A Congressman is being interviewed and he says to himself, "The Power of No, The Power of No."
Asked if he is ready, he responds "No," then adds "kidding.  Let's do this."
 
"Hey folks who look like me.  Negative Ned here for the state of North Carolina!  Here in Raleigh we're on the move - backwards!  338 regressive bills and counting."
 
"We've said no to young people by banning pre-registration!  They're just not mature enough to vote the right way.  And no to the teachers by cutting public school funding and giving it to our fine private academies."
 
"No to the unemployed by slashing overly generous benefits!  No loafers welcome here.  And no to women by passing restrictions that will close most abortion clinics."
 
"No to minorities by imposing IDs and restricting early and Sunday voting.  And no to college students by making it harder to vote at school."
 
"And no to law enforcement by permitting guns in bars, parks and playgrounds.  And no to scientists! If you use climate change data in your projections, you will by punished.  It's the law. "
 
"So come on down and experience the power of no!  North Carolina - where progress is a dirty word."  An assistant aside whispers, "Psst! Ask about our new tax cuts for "job creators."
 
 
 
So, what can I do?  I have written my representatives and contributed to causes challenging some of these "no" laws.  Other than that, I try to put it out of my mind.  Since I can't do much else, I'm not going to let them destroy my love for this wonderful state.
 
And the birds are helping a lot.  The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are still around, delighting us with their color.  I saw a female yesterday, so I know the more brilliant males will soon depart.  Such a treat to have them for a few weeks.

 
 
Looking proud and lovely.

 
 
 
He heard the camera click.

 
 
 
But decides to look the other way.


Thank you birds and trees, wildflowers and waterfalls.  You give me so much pleasure in these times of frustration.



10 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Great grosbeak pics! I just saw a female RBG at out feeder.

Yep, don't let the bastards get you down ...

Anonymous said...

I hope the next elections provide some relief and change for your beautiful state.

I always love seeing those gorgeous grosbeaks. Such beauty.

The Bug said...

I saw that comic yesterday - yeesh!

Love the bird - he was letting you decide his best side :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Grosebeak looking the other way? Sounds like some people we know. :0

Gotta keep your spirits up some how. Cute little guy!

Tara said...

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

PS I love your state -- it is beautiful and full of wonderful people, like yourself. Don't let the turkeys get you down!

Ms. A said...

The camera is the best way in the world for me to (temporarily) forget my problems. Keep clicking. Great shots!

troutbirder said...

Oh my. How sad. So far the majority of voters here in Minnesota have resisted this kind of nonsense. Though our legislature did pass a "welfare for shady New Jersey billionaires" bill to build a new Vikings stadium. Uff da!

KGMom said...

We just passed through your fair state (traveling down I-95) and we stayed overnight at a Hampton Inn and ate at a local diner. The people we encountered were unfailingly polite and helpful. But, at the table next to us, the conversation crackled with political talk. I tried hard NOT to hear too much, because I didn't want 1) my blood pressure to rise, or 2) to be tempted to jump in and respond. And, happily, I behaved myself.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Vicki - yes, that's all we can do.

Robin - I fear that with the gerrymandered districts we won't make much headway. But I keep hoping.

Tara - Thanks, that is lovely. I've printed it out and taped it to my desk.

Donna - Yes, I try to turn a deaf ear in the grocery store. Closed minded people seem to talk the loudest.

KB said...

I feel the same as you do. Thank goodness that the gorgeous natural world is still there for us in these awful political times.