LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, March 30, 2012

Fridays are Golden

Several people commented on my last post about bath day.  Apparently some groomers sedate the dogs.  Be assured that our groomer does not do that.  She has a small number of clients and does the bathing and grooming in a converted porch in her own home.  We were delighted and surprised at how inexpensive her services are.  Once when I went to pick up the girls there was a woman picking up her little Maltese.  She asked the groomer, "forty-five dollars, right?"  After she left, I told the groomer that I hadn't know she had increased her rates and that I had only a check plus tip but I would come back with the remainder.  She then told me she had not raised her rates but that she charges based on how difficult the grooming is.  I was quite proud when she told me that our girls never have any matting, their ears are always clean and they behave so well that she can do both of them more easily than the little Maltese.

So the zombie conditions have nothing to do with sedation.  The other time we have zombie girls is following a visit to the veterinarian and that is usually a rather short visit.  When we start out in the 4x4, they are happy and assume we are going for a hike or a run along the dam.  They are alert to the turns and there is a set point where Lucy realizes...hey...this is not the way!  Stop!  This route goes to the groomer or the vet!  She starts what we call 'stress whining' as if she is trying to tell us something.  Ellie would otherwise be fine but she is attuned to Lucy's distress and while she doesn't whine she is clearly affected.  Thus both dogs are exhausted by the time we reach the groomer or the vet.

We have a lot of fun with our dogs.  And sometimes we have fun even when they are not moving around.  We often laugh at them and the places they choose to sleep.

Lucy loves a pillow.  If none is available she will use Ellie, or a pair of shoes, or the chair rung.




 I cannot imagine that could be comfortable but it must be since she fell sound asleep.




 Lying parallel in the sunshine, Lucy half on and half off the bed.




 The same Lucy who usually wants a pillow is also content to lie with her head lower and her body on the bed.  You figure.



This is proving to be our county's second warmest March since temperatures were recorded; second only to March 1945.  We have truly enjoyed the awakening spring.  We spend a lot of time outdoors and the dogs love the early morning and late afternoon romps.

It's only reasonable that today's quotes  are about dogs.  This one is from Dave Barry:
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, 'My God, you're RIGHT!  I NEVER would have thought of that.'"

And a similar one from Samuel Butler:
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

And in today's troubled world it is nice to occasionally make a fool of oneself in front of a non-judgmental pet.


HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, EVERYONE!  WATCH OUT FOR THOSE APRIL FOOL PRANKS FROM THE TALKING HEADS ON SUNDAY.  DON'T FALL FOR A THING THEY OR THEIR GUESTS TELL YOU.

14 comments:

The Bug said...

Dave Barry is right - dogs are so affirming :)

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I had no idea that some groomers sedate dogs-how horrid. Your girls are so beautiful-give them an extra hug for me as I'm missing my Reggie today.
Hugs, Noreen

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Great quotes at the end of the post. Glad your girls are well behaved at the groomer. Hate to think what I would be charged! haha
Mine used to lay like that under the dining room chairs...then they decided it was a great chew toy. Two or three chairs need to be sanded and redone.

Karin said...

Can't believe it's Friday again - I think I missed a few somewhere! Lovely to visit here again and here about your golden girls. It's amazing that they know which way you're driving. Glad they are compliant with their groomer. Now I'm wondering how dogs could be trained to enjoy bath time instead of dreading it!

Have yourself a great week-end. Our snow is almost all gone! We need a major spring rain to clean our dusty, gravel filled streets!

Cicero Sings said...

... and I do make a fool of myself, singing and caterwauling at the top of my voice and cavorting around! Then playing chase me, chase me with the same dog, screeching and clapping my hands and tearing through the house after the little guy.

My cold is still pretty thick so I took Mingus over to the golf course (it isn't open yet but melted off) and through balls ... all down hill ... so he could wear off some steam. That last ball went WAY down the hill so he was pretty puffed by the time he got back. Oh the tricks we Mithers play.

carolina nana said...

It is funny but my dogs also know when we are headed to the vet or groomer. We started grooming our little Havanese because he would get so terrorized at going to the groomer.
Blessings for the weekend
Marilyn

Ms. A said...

That must be the reason I get along better with dogs, than people. Lord I miss my dogs!

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad your dogs were not put on drugs and are cheap groomer dates.
You are so right. I don't think dogs have a judgemental bone in their bodies.

Golden Samantha said...

Yes... dogs do know where the car is driving! Love the girls' sleeping positions and your funny quotes - so true! We also didn't know that some groomers sedate dogs - that is just awful. Glad we do our own - yikes.
xo
The girls and Miche

Ginnie said...

Enjoyed your post and thanks for the April Fools heads up. I'll be on the lookout !

abb said...

They are just the BEST! (Our 4-legged friends, that is.)
Tomorrow is the hubs and my anniversary. He wanted a date he had no chance of forgetting....it's worked for 34 years now... :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It's hard to find a groomer that you like, and I'm glad you have found one. I like the one I have as well, who also doesn't rush them through and the dogs even seem to like!

You're right about them finding the funniest places to get comfy and snooze!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Rudee said...

Those quotes are so true.

Leo is in a zombie state after his baths, too. I can assure you since I'm the groomer that no drugs are used. It's such an event, it knocks him out.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love those quotes...cute and true!
Dogs do find the funniest ways to nap, and your girls always make me smile.