LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, March 2, 2012

Fridays are Golden

March came in like a lamb here in the mountains.  We had a sunny day with high temperatures almost breaking records.  A gentle warm breeze made the day seem even better.  Today we awakened to heavy fog and rain with more normal temperatures.  I took the girls out for a walk and when we got to the mid-point the mist gave way to a downpour.  We met a neighbor walking his poodle.  He said that the speed with which Fancy (the poodle) completed her duty was inversely proportional to the heaviness of the rain.   I allowed as how drying off two wet Goldens is the worst part of it.  That and having to change my jeans because they were wet to mid-calf.

Yesterday the girls were squirrel watching.  They know the word so that we cannot use it even in normal conversation lest they run to the door.

It goes without saying that the lower half of this door gets cleaned often.


Lucy abandons the watch but Ellie persists.
(BTW:  There was not a squirrel out there but I had accidently said the word.)


I don't know how many square feet the great room contains, but it is definitely not necessary that the girls lie together on the floor.  Someone asked if the dogs are litter mates.  They are not.  Ellie is two years older than Lucy but if you go to the fourth generation they have a male ancestor common to both of them.  I guess that makes them cousins of some sort.

As usual, Ellie was there first.  Then Lucy plopped down beside her.





What?





Is anything sweeter than a sleeping Golden?
(The wet spot is from an ice cube Ellie had eaten.)


Here we are on the cusp of Spring.  Time for looking forward.  Remember the old Billy Joel song, "Keeping the Faith?"  I loved the words, "the good old day weren't all that good and tomorrow is never as bad as it seems."

I love what Yogi Berra had to say:  "The future ain't what it used to be."

I feel obliged to use a quote from John Fitzgerald Kennedy this week.  That is my little response to one of the GOP candidates who said that reading JFK's speech that separation of church and state was absolute made him want to throw up.

President Kennedy:  "We have come too far, we have sacrificed too much, to distain the future now."  and;
"...rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation---a struggle against the common enemies of man:  tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself."

Wouldn't it be nice if today's candidates discussed those enemies?  But somehow they seem to think that same-sex marriage and contraception are the main enemies.  Folks, neither of those is an enemy at all, much less a main one.


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE!!!

14 comments:

Rudee said...

I'm trying hard to stay as apolitical as possible, but that candidate you reference makes me want to run to the store to buy anti-emetic drugs in bulk. Yes, he does. He seems to embody all that is wrong with our political system. And let us not mention the most despicable man around--Rush the Vicodin Addict. His misogynist beliefs terrify me.

OK...enough already. I had a great laugh at Fancy's expense. Thank you for that! And can we see a photo of Ms. Fancy? Pretty please. I think a creature who sounds so perfectly named should be seen to offset the ugliness we're encountering of late.

The Bug said...

I really did laugh out loud at the squirrel business. Boy they would go CRAZY at our house! And that was a fine antidote to the political nonsense these days. Cause otherwise I just want to yell all the time. Sigh.

Taradharma said...

Oh, how I love Fridays are Golden. Your girls always fill my heart with love.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

NEVER say the word! (squirrel) Mine go nuts.
I find what the Republican governors are doing. Great quotes.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Shouldn't talk to my husband while I am trying to write something.
The governors are scary, especially the VA one.

Vicki Lane said...

These are not the times to be apolitical . . .particularly if you're a woman.

The girls seem unperturbed -- have you told them about the dog on the station wagon roof? ;-)

KB said...

I think that it was me who asked if they were littermates. I've only seen such symmetrical behavior in littermates before. Your two are so gorgeous in the sunshine... It's wonderful that they are so attached to each other.

That particular candidate is incredibly scary. Some of the quotes this week have floored me.

Tomorrow's the *big* game!

Ms. A said...

Just think... when politics is looking less than attractive, you have your beautiful girls!

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Our cats haven't learned the word "squirrel," but that doesn't diminish their attention to them. As per the last bit, all I can say is "amen!" Jim

Cheryl said...

Any dog is gorgeous when it belong to you.
I have to agree though, that your goldies are absolutely beautiful.

I understand glass cleaning. Nella has a spot where she watches the rabbits in the garden and boy does it get messy :(
As you say regular glass cleaning is the order of the day.

Arkansas Patti said...

I could never tire of your Goldens in repose. Sometimes it looks like they are joined.
Have you tried spelling "squirrel" though I am sure they would catch on soon enough.
Thank you so much for your sweet thoughts and caring. We must cherish our friends while we can.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love the name Fancy for a fancy dog!!!!
Trying to dry a wet dog after a good rain...well that is a huge challenge!
Love your golden girls.
I loathe politicians. :)

troutbirder said...

As alway Carolyn you express my political sentiments exactly....
And I never use the world squirrel aloud unless my aim is for a certain large dog to rush to the dog barking madly......

Peruby said...

Oh my gosh! Your mention of the word "squirrel" reminds me of the movie "UP". Have you seen it? It has a funny episode of a dog and the word "squirrel". Loved it!