LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, February 8, 2019

We Love Lucy

What a strange week this has been.  Spring one day and winter the next.  One day with dreary mist and fog and the next with bright, warm sunshine.

I do appreciate the sun and have a touch of seasonal affective disorder.  When we built out house, the first thing I wanted to know was the orientation.  Our main living areas face the east and southeast so we get the morning sunshine if there is any to be had.  The great room wall toward the deck is primarily windows and double doors.

Our Lucy is also fond of sunshine and seems even more so as she ages.  It must feel good on her old, arthritic bones.  (I know it does on mine.)  She seeks out areas of sun puddles when the sun is shining even in summer.  She loves to lie on the hot deck when it is warm.  She snoozes on her bed with one of her pillows as the sun shines upon her.  If the sun has moved by the time she awakens, she gets up and moves to find another sunny spot.

Lucy seems to be sleeping more and is slower to get up and moving.  But the leg is the same and she does not appear to have any pain.  She is eating and drinking well and is able to walk reasonably well once she gets started.

I love the tiny spot of sunshine on her nose


Our granddaughter has been introduced to a new food.  She might live in the Midwest and she might have been born there, but she is a real daughter of the South.  She recently had first hushpuppy.  Quickly followed by her second, third, and fourth.  She crammed them in her mouth with gusto.  Fortunately, she loved the smoked turkey that followed so she gave up on the hushpuppies without much fuss.  But she clearly thought those hushpuppies were among the best things she had ever eaten and she has a broad taste in foods.

Proof that toddlers can focus.  Nothing comes between Violet and her hushpuppy.

I do hope you are having some sunshine (and perhaps hushpuppies) in your life.  Isn't it wonderful to notice the lengthening of the daylight hours?  And it will only get better from here.

Today's quote is from William Cullen Bryant:

"The February sunshine steeps your boughs and tints the buds
And swells the leaves within."

And a quote from Winston Churchill, simply because I like it:

"The most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."

While I am certain our Violet will be educated, I doubt very seriously if she will have a southern accent.  Neither of her parents do.



HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK, EVERYONE


9 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, you remind me that I haven't had a hushpuppy in YEARS -- time to do something about that -- maybe when Josie and her folks are here for supper. Like Mr. Churchill, I'm a fan of southern accents -- I wonder which variety he meant? I'm partial to Alabama and Georgia accents, maybe SC too. Such infinite variety . . .

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful captures of Lucy and Violet...glad you pointed out the sun on L's nose. I also love good hushpuppies (not terrible spicy or sweet, just somewhere in the middle.) They have to have been fried in nice clean oil too. Unfortunately my digestion says only have a few. So I just am happy with that and leave the rest to others. I am not a morning person, but have been enjoying sun shining through the blinds around 10. Sometimes. We all knew it was a false spring, but didn't we want to delight in it!

KB said...

Lucy looks content. I'm glad that she had a touch of sunshine on her. I'm also very glad to hear that she isn't in pain. Please give her extra pats from me.

Violet certainly is a character! I don't think that I've ever had a hushpuppy. I'll give Violet my lifetime allocation!!! :)

Nance said...

Don't you just love the look of the word hushpuppy? And I'm old enough to remember that they used to be soft suede shoes as well.

Anonymous said...

I love the sunshine as much as Lucy does. Oh when the days are dreary gray my bones ache. Love seeing Lucy enjoy all that warm delightful light. Reading about hushpuppies made me google it to see what they are. Seriously, I've never had one, but I think I would like to try it. Yum!

Arkansas Patti said...

Violet has great taste as well as being adorable. Now you have me thinking hushpuppies. Wonder where----?? Loved seeing Lucy in the sun and thanks for pointing out the spot on her nose. I'd have missed it.
Callie loves the sun also but since I have the wrap around porch, she gets none in the house. Even though it is in the 30's outside, she begs to go out to sleep on her raised bed with a thick rug. It is on the porch that the sun hits and she soaks it up. Even that cold, her fur is toasty warm when she comes in.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lucy definitely has the right idea to seek a sunny, warm spot and then take a nap. We had hushpuppies when we lived in VA and learned that they are best enjoyed warm with honey, at least that was our introduction.

Joared said...

Don’t recall ever having a hushpuppy though lived in south for a number of years. Sun would be welcomed on those changing weather days. We’re actually having them, too, with another storm coming in here later this morning for a couple days, a break and more storms in the offing - rain for us and snow on the mountains behind us.

NCmountainwoman said...

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, EVERYONE!

Vicki - Hushpuppies are something we forget about until we have one. We love them with barbecue.

Barbara - I'm definitely not a morning person either, but I dearly love it when the sun is up before I am and shines brightly through the windows. Yes, clean oil is an absolute necessity.

KB - We always seem to be patting Lucy these days so we will add yours. I think huspuppies are definitely a southern thing. Hope you do get to try some someday.

Nance - The word "hushpuppy" means a lot to me. My dear father used to tell the story about why they are called hushpuppies every...single...time we ever had them. It became a family tradition and joke.

Robin - Yes, if you like cornbread you would love hushpuppies. They seem even better because traditionally they are served with barbecue or fried fish.

Patti - Amazing how the dogs can soak up the sun even when it's chilly outside. Finding good hushpuppies is hard and nothing is worse than bad ones. Good luck.

Beatrice - I've never tried them with honey, but I have some wonderful sourwood honey on hand and will definitely give it a try.

Joared - You have had even stranger weather than most of us. Hope you get a break