LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, February 22, 2019

Lucy and Vi

The Noah-like rain has continued all week long.  One night we were awakened several times with loud thunder booming in the night.  Thunderstorms in February!  More roads are flooded, several landslides briefly closed others and all of us are sick and tired of hanging rain coats out to dry.  And wiping out the car seat because you sat down wearing a wet coat.

Lucy hates it even more than we do.  We had to buy more boots for her because they got soaked every time we took her outside.  We put paper towels inside and hang them on hooks to dry.  So far we haven't had to resort to a hair dryer.  We've washed a lot more dog towels that get wet and soiled when we dry off Lucy.  (Another great perk of a long marriage is that one accumulates a lot of towels no longer good enough for company but just fine for dogs.)

We've kept more lights on during the day to pretend it is lighter than it really is.  And we've treated ourselves with more "comfort" foods than usual. And we hope for the rain to stop.

We periodically take off Lucy's boots to give let her feet air out.


Our son had a birthday so Violet got up early that morning to make him a cake.  She took her job quite seriously.  She has a great little kitchen center,

She starts with the eggs of course


As you can see from the playroom floor, the poor child has so few toys.  Believe it or not, most are gifts and not purchased by her parents.

Next comes the cake mix.




Don't forget to put the mixing bowl back under the beaters, Violet


It won't be long before she is really stirring things and helping in the kitchen.  Her daddy is an excellent cook so I'm sure she will learn her way around the kitchen as soon as possible.  Meanwhile, a pretend birthday cake will do just fine.

I had my scans but have not met with the oncologist for the results.  That will be on the day for the next chemotherapy treatment where I will either continue the present regimen or switch based on the scans.  The worst part of the scans involved NO CAFFEINE that morning, only water.  I can deal with fasting easily but no coffee?  It was almost 11:00 when the scans were finished so I drove immediately to a bagel shop near the hospital and grabbed a large coffee.  Oh my, it was good.  I also bought some New York style bagels to freeze.  Many people from here drive over regularly to buy those bagels.


Today's quote comes from my daughter's favorite Winnie-the-Pooh character, Eeyore:

"The nicest thing about the rain is that it stops.  Eventually."

An anonymous quote in keeping with my negative attitude about this excessive rain:

"Remember; not every rainy day holds within it the promise of any rainbow."


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK, EVERYONE


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can utterly empathize with your rainy day blues. It has been crazy wet here for days. As I type this, though, the sun is shining. But the rains will be back tomorrow and for the rest of the week. I am so not looking forward to that. We will all be so glad when the days of sunshine come and stay for a long while. Lucy will be happy and so will your adorable birthday cake baker Vi. Hope the oncology results are EXCELLENT.

Arkansas Patti said...

You usually get what we are finished with weather wise. Hope you miss our Saturday's mess for it is threatening tornadoes for SE Ar.
Cute how Lucy gets to air out her feet. You guys are so great with her.
Vi is just too precious and hoping you get great test results. Let us know.

Tara said...

I like your remedies for rainy days -- both for Lucy and for you two. Lights and warm food!

Vi is adorable with her kitchen set, but for gawdsake get her some more TOYS! (My grand kids have a similarly packed play room) Can't wait to see photos (maybe next year?) of her standing on a kitchen stool helping her daddy whip up some dish.

I, too, hope your test results are EXCELLENT. Fingers and toes crossed.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh yes, what everyone else has said too. And when the weatherguy on TV, your's and mine, says we've had a whole season's worth of rain surplus already (measuring against 2 years)it seems we're going to need that ark again. I agree, have various clothes hanging around to dry, and have the wet shoes by the door and when I go out, leave my slippers there to step into as I come back and take off the soaked shoes.

Nance said...

It is truly astonishing how much multicolored plastic the wee ones of today accumulate through gifts. I know how much fun it is to shop in toy aisles, and it was difficult to restrain myself. Finally, I decided to be The Old English Teacher Auntie Who Only Gave Books.

Best wishes, fingers crossed for your results and drier weather.

The Bug said...

We got a flood watch this morning - so I'm staying put & doing housework. As soon as I finish reading blogs. Honest!

KB said...


Before you know it, you'll be taking photos of the spring birds arriving. The hummers will be so grateful for the gorgeous blooms thanks to the rain! I really hope that your test results are good, and that the rain stops for sweet Lucy. The story and photos of Violet are so precious!!!

Vicki Lane said...

Yes, the rain is a bummer. Fortunately, I have edits to do for my class and need to be inside anyway. Violet is adorable -- such a busy little person. Holding you in my heart with wishes for good scans. <3

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Rain is a good thing, exceot when it comes all at once and in deluges, and hope you get a break soon and so does Lucy. It’s raining as I write this comment. Vi looks like a serious cake baker and hope her creation was “enjoyed.” Keeping you in my thoughts for good new from the oncologist.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I've been hearing about all the rain in your area; it must be tiresome! Violet is just a little doll.....so cute and full of personality.
Praying the scans bring you good news! I can sympathize about the no coffee part, it's always the hardest.

Recep Hilmi TUFAN | rehitu.com said...

I also wanted to try that cake. She is so cute.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

As I looked at all your photos and read your post I was struck by how many emotions must be swirling around in your world right now. Lucy is a concern of course, as is the scan results … but then you have Violet to put it all in perspective. You know I live in NC too and the rain has been just as bad here. Yesterday gave me hope that it's ALL going to be on the upswing now.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sweet picture of Lucy.

I just love the photographs and story you tell about Violet …
LOL! Yes our grandchildren have wall to wall toys as well, but at least they put them away at the end of the day :)

Prayers have been, and continue to be said, for the results of your scans.

All the best Jan

NCmountainwoman said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone.