LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, November 18, 2016

We Love Lucy


Wildfires continue to burn across western NC.  Our community is not in immediate danger but our air quality waxes between orange and red alerts.  The air is acrid and the smoke is occasionally so thick it looks like fog rising from the valleys.  The weather has brought temperatures much above our average but we are expecting a cold front which will bring our temperatures back to normal.  Unfortunately, the front will bring high winds along as well.  We owe a great debt to the many men and women who have come from across our nation to help with fighting the fires.

Most mornings we can find some time to let Lucy run in the park.  But the rest of the day she remains indoors to protect her from the smoke.  She is content to lounge around the house snoozing in various places.  Sometimes she falls asleep in a sunbeam and awakens to find it has moved.

That's funny.  I could have sworn I was in the sun.
.




 Mom, do you know what happened?

Only 43 days remain in this year and I will be more than glad to say good-bye.  (Good-bye won't be my actual words.  Before I say "Happy New Year" I will scream, "F YOU 2016" several times.)

It is fitting that our quote comes from the late and much beloved Leonard Cohen.  This from his song, "Anthem."

The birds, they sang
At the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don't dwell on what
Has passed away
Or what is yet to be


Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND
 
HELP YOUR NEIGHBOR



 


[I'm trying.  I really am.  But when I look at the character of the people DJT is appointing, I am very sad indeed.]

9 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Of all the hard things 2016 has brought, the loss of Cohen ranks very high. Dear Lucy...I would have voted for you anyday over what we seem to have elected. Heart is bleeding all over the floor this night, dear friend. Thank you for your outpouring of concern on my blog...it is shared, as surely as the sun and the moon touch us all.

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is the first time I've ever 'heard' the F bomb from you!! I think we're all over 2016.
I DO hope the wildfires are contained sooner than later for all of you nice people in the mountains. Oh....the poor critters affected by this too. Wishing you a lovely weekend and if I don't 'see' you again this coming week, please enjoy your Thanksgiving. Especially the leftovers. :)

Anonymous said...

It is so surprising that you still have the fires there, especially this close to winter. I hope you get some much needed rain. And yes to the "FU" to 2016. Did you watch John Oliver's final show of the season? It ends with those sentiments exactly. This has not been my most favorite year at all. It was truly a bummer. Well, except for all the beautiful stuff and good blogging buddies. Take care.

Cheryl said...

I am so sad to hear you still have the fires and no rain in sight.
Thinking of you.

2016 has been the most awful of years. I will also be glad to say farewell to it.
I have lost two close friends, my mother and my son in law.
BUT I will try and remember it for the beautiful moments I have shared with friends and family. I must also say fellow bloggers give wonderful support during these times......

I hope the days ahead improve.....that rain comes eventually.

I love Lucy....

Barbara Rogers said...

I thought of Lucy and you when I saw 2 goldens being walked around the lake. Then another family came by with a chihuahua that they are fostering...the little girl carried it most of the time. I took a photo of both groups...and petted the beautiful goldens. Unfortunately it was Code Red air quality, so I was wearing a mask...and there were very few people outside enjoying the sunshine.

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry to read about your fires ... I do hope you get cooler and wetter weather soon to help.

Just loved the pictures of Lucy - including the captions you wrote!

Take Care

All the best Jan

The Bug said...

I totally agree about 2016. I'm just hoping that the trend doesn't continue. Oh who am I kidding - the next four years at least will be 2016 squared. Sigh. At least there's Lucy and sunbeams...

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so glad you have been spared the fires but the smoke has to be so awful to actually chase you inside. Stay safe and I hope lots of rain finally makes it. We got a 1/2 inch--yipee.
I can't believe I have been ignorant about Leonard Cohen for so long. What a wordsmith he was who seemed to read my soul.
Love the vanishing ray of sun and Lucy's bewildered look. I can relate.

Kay G. said...

We have had the smoke in Georgia too. Lucy looking for the sun is sweet.