Yet another very strange week here in the NC mountains. It began with the effects of a fire in the Colonial Pipeline. Yes, the very one whose flow was interrupted two months ago. And yes, the one that supplies gasoline to the southern and southeastern states. As they are wont to do, people heard about the fire early Tuesday morning and rushed to the gas stations to top off their tanks. By Tuesday afternoon there was no gasoline in our county. The week continued with much higher than normal temperatures...reaching 80 degrees here. The temperatures have moderated a bit, but are still much warmer than normal. And we are in a severe drought with no rain in sight. Fire dangers are extremely high. We are more than 18 inches short of our normal rainfall. The trees are stressed and the pines are dropping needles. For these and many reasons, the folks around here seem tired and weary. I went down for early voting yesterday and while things ran smoothly, everyone seemed a bit lethargic.
I saw a blurb this morning that 85% of Americans are "disgusted" with this election. Wonder if the other 15% are comatose? Our state is more important to this election than it usually is, so we have been treated to some of the most horrible of political advertisements and robocalls. In addition to the Presidential election, we have a hotly contested race for Senate and a very close gubernatorial election as well. Lies, half-truths, and innuendos lead the messages of the day. I don't even turn on the television for weather reports any longer. The weather news is depressing as well.
I am trying to enjoy the mild weather, but truthfully, it simply feels wrong. To turn on the air conditioner in November? At least the mornings are cooler and Lucy can still enjoy her romps in the park. And so she lives in her insulated world, happy as can be.
Lucy, you look quite regal.
Thanks, Mom. That's part of my job.
Today's quote is from author Abigail Thomas. I have it written down and review it often.
I watch my dogs.
They throw themselves into everything they do; even their sleeping is whole-hearted.
They aren't waiting for a better tomorrow or looking back at their glory days.
Following their example I'm trying to stick to the present.
These words echo through my mind as I try to ground myself and insulate myself from all the campaign rhetoric. So I'm definitely going to stick to the present. Four days from today will be Election Day. And we will deal with what comes after soon enough.
Try to find alternatives to occupy your time. Return to your favorite hobbies. Get out your Thanksgiving decorations in spite of the temperature. Try some new recipes. Personally, I'm settling down each evening with movies and an extra glass of wine.
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE
MAKE CERTAIN YOU CAST YOUR VOTE
THEN RELAX AND HOPE FOR THE BEST