LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, July 31, 2015

We Love Lucy



Lucy rearranges the two pillows on her bed frequently.  She seems to have a specific purpose for each.  The blue bone is for snuggling and for her head.




 While the bee pillow is for resting her chin while she gazes out the window.



 I've had dear Ellie on my mind lately.  I miss her especially during the summer when she and Lucy would lie on the deck while I sat out to watch birds or do some reading.  We bought two canvas beds for the deck so they wouldn't have to lie on the wood.  But both dogs seem to prefer the wood over the beds.



 No matter how big the area, the Golden Girls were never far apart.

We haven't done as much deck sitting this summer as we usually do.  And certainly not in the middle of the day.  It continues to be much warmer than normal for us.  And the air is often still and humid as well.  So deck time is late evening and early morning.

I've been doing a lot of reading this summer since it's too hot to be outdoors.  In addition to my regular best sellers, I am reading some "classics" that I somehow never read.  Right now it's "Watership Down" and I must say I am really enjoying it.  It's one of my daughter's favorites since childhood and she couldn't believe I had never read it.  Next up will be "Anne of Green Gables."  It's another one I somehow missed.

Our nation and our world has been much troubled this past week.  Angry outbursts seem to be the response of the day.  Road rage that ends in murder.  Angry police officers whose egos get in the way of justice.  A police officer senselessly killing a motorist stopped for a minor violation, followed by lies about the incident.  A dentist wounding and then killing a well-known lion, lured from the protection of the reserve so the "big-game hunter" could kill him for no reason other than to kill him.  (The dentist had already killed at least one other African lion as well as several other large animals.)  Continued unrest over Southern monuments to the Civil War dead.  People losing their lives try to escape from terrorists.

Today's quote is a fitting one from the Dalai Lama:

"Anger and hatred lead to fear;  compassion and concern for others allow us to develop self-confidence, which breeds trust and friendship."

Oh, that we could become a more trusting and friendly world.


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE
STEP OUTSIDE AND ENJOY THE BLUE MOON


 


11 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Amen...I have had an exceedingly difficult summer dealing with all these issues. I must deal with them, of course, and find ways to communicate to my students the deeper issues and meanings for their lives. They don't like things to be complicated, it seems. Well, neither do I, but life is just that. As Kevin Welch sings it, "troublesome times, troublesome times...there ain't no gettin' around these troublesome times." I love Lucy and her pillows...she is so orderly! Peace be with you, dear friend.

Tara said...

well said. i feel so weary of the 'news' and my husband has just this morning suggested that I do less "facebooking." Not a bad idea.

I, too, am doing a lot of reading since it is in the triple digits here. Currently reading Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan and i'm loving the oh so Englishness of it.

Enjoy your weekend with your sweet Lucy.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Looking forward to the blue moon myself. Sounds like your summer days are much like ours; stifling. Glad you are getting in some good reading. I can't bear to watch the news; too much for my heart.

Anonymous said...

These are such sad and interesting times. I know good things are happening, but right now it seems that bad outweighs it in every medium. Sometimes all we can do is remember the beauty in the world and add a little kindness wherever we go. Always good to see Lucy and to remember beautiful Ellie.

The Bug said...

I loved Watership Down! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

The world seems crazy to me too - so glad that I can come here & get a Lucy fix to help make it seem a little better.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do sometimes think our world gets crazier each day ... and then something wonderful happens, a touch of kindness from a stranger, or a smile that just brightens up your day. Let's do our best to spread a little kindness ...

Have a Happy Weekend and may you continue to enjoy your reading.

All the best Jan

PS Wonderful pictures of dear Lucy and Ellie.

Ms. A said...

It's even hot at night here. I use to love summer evenings in the Carolina cool!

Arkansas Patti said...

The news and people ruled by anger can really get a person down. We really need some good news and many acts of kindness to blow away the blues. Fortunately our pets don't get angry so they let us enjoy normal at least for a while.
Watership Down was a real favorite of mine. Been a long time, might be time for a reread.

Vicki Lane said...

These seem especially troubled times -- and the heat doesn't help. Getting out and pulling weeds before it heats up too much is my way of dealing with a lot of it. That and spending time with our dogs.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I agree about the heat, and understand about missing your beloved girl...

I also agree with you about Watership Down. My Mom gave it to me in the 90's when I was home from Alaska, and I read it on my trip back. I've read it several times, and you've reminded me I should read it again.

troutbirder said...

OUR CANINE FRIENDS ARE SUCH CREATURES OF HABIT!...:)