LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, July 13, 2015

The Trees are Nice and Full



In the old television series The Andy Griffith Show one of the consistent fan favorites is the episode in which Opie hand-raises three little birds after he accidentally kills their mother.  When the birds are ready to fledge, Opie takes them out of the cage and they fly to the trees.  He laments to his father that the cage seems awfully empty.  And wise Andy says, "Yes, but don't the trees sound nice and full?"

As summer continues, we are blessed with a variety of birds that nest in our woods and visit our feeders.

Stations all filled with American Goldfinches




 A Hairy Woodpecker waits in the tree




 Hummingbirds drink the nectar




 It's a bit unusual to see an Eastern Towhee at the feeder
I'm not sure the goldfinch is pleased to share




 A White-breasted Nuthatch challenges a chickadee

We love seeing the birds at our house.  Most of them pay no attention as we sit on the deck.  Occasionally the woodpeckers will squawk at us and wait for us to go inside.

Around here the trees do indeed sound nice and full.





15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the best part of summer when all the birds are out and about. I like the answer that Andy gave to Opie. So true.

Carolina Linthead said...

That nuthatch doesn't stand a chance, lol! Lovely to see such variety! For whatever reason (probably bad news, alas) towhees seem to be coming to feeders this year. I know my father-in-law has seen them...he called me one day to ask about a particular bird and described perfectly an eastern towhee. Sure enough, the next time I visited I heard and saw one in his back yard.

Vicki Lane said...

Indeed! The birds are busy making more birds. We seem to have more goldfinches than usual -- so festive to see a tree full of them!

Arkansas Patti said...

Love Andy's comment. You really have a nice variety. I only feed hummers in the summer and they have me making 3 quarts a day. Pretty sure the DEA has me on their watch list with all the sugar I buy.

Lowcarb team member said...

... and what a lovely variety of birds and their colourings are lovely.

Hope the weather is cooling down a little for you?

Take Care

All the best Jan

KB said...

That's a wonderful way to think of it - the trees being nice and full. And yours are super full of such colorful birds. I delight in them too - although sometimes I wish we had the variety that you have!

I always get a little wistful as fledging time approaches for the flycatcher chicks in the nest under our deck. I'll try to think of the trees being nice and full rather than lamenting the empty nest.

Cheryl said...

Indeed the trees are full...........it is a wonderful time of year.

I love to see all your birds but for me, the hummingbird is a magical moment. I wait each year to see images of them. Such enchanting little birds, and their journey always touches my heart.

Beautiful post and I will always remember that quote...............the trees are full.

Ms. A said...

Look at all your birds! Girl, I'm envious as all get out!

Barbara Rogers said...

You've sure got a neighborhood full of beauty. Enjoy!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love Andy's wise rebuttal! Yes, your trees are alive with fluttering and music. Why must the woodpeckers get so cranky sometimes?

troutbirder said...

Except for the towhee very similar to our summer "hangers on." :)

The Bug said...

I took a walk around the yard this morning (surveying our "kingdom") & it was so rackety! I love that racket :)

Mary Lee said...

I remember that episode. In fact, I probably remember every episode.

Love it when you ID birds for me. The goldfinches I knew. . .but not that many at once. BEAUTIFUL!)

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Such a variety of birds to view and watch!! And Beautiful!

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. We do enjoy our birds.