LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, January 26, 2015

Roadside Art


Old cast iron bathtubs are a common sight in yards in our county.  Even old toilet bowls and tractor tires are sometimes filled with dirt and used as planters.  There is often one or more cement pieces;  the frogs under the umbrella, the duck with her ducklings, and the ubiquitous Snow White and the Dwarfs.  We usually pass by these pieces of "art" without giving them a second glance.

But every now and then we come across something unique.  Something really creative and fun.  Such was the sight as we drove along the East Fork River and came upon an abandoned old truck by the roadside.  Imagine our surprise to find a large (apparently cement) black bear in the driver's seat.



The bear keeps his eyes on the road.


 A closer look showed a wild boar peeping out from under the front fender.

 There seems a bit of wash problem from recent rains.


I must admit I love seeing roadside art.  Some of it is tasteful but most of it is tacky.  But keep in mind it's all in the eyes of the beholder after all.

As Albert Einstein said, "Art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist."

I often wonder exactly what creative urge led some folks to put so many things in their yards.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this art, especially the wild boar by the front tire. I am always delighted by what the creative mind can produce. Delightful.

Ms. A said...

That's cute! I wanted to use our old toilet as a planter in the back yard, but hubby was opposed.

Busy Bee Suz said...

The line between tacky and cute is usually very fine.
I love this with the truck though; so clever!

The Bug said...

Love it! It's the whimsy that always gets me :)

Arkansas Patti said...

What a delightful find that I bet has been photographed many times. The old truck has a new life. Someone is very clever with extra time on their hands.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Just wondering if the roadside art was on someone's property near your home. We always like to see creations like this on our travels.

NCmountainwoman said...

Beatrice - The art is on a country road not far from our community. There is also an old VW bug with flowers. I'll have to check and see if there is a driver for it.

Vicki Lane said...

That's wonderful! I love how the creative urge manifests itself.

Cheryl said...

Great artwork. I really like this one. I think it is a wonderful idea. Far better to see some creative artwork, than rubbish left in the countryside by irresponsible people. That tends to happen here......and really annoys me,

KB said...

That's a gem!!! As you probably guessed, the bear driving really caught my fancy!

How Sam Sees It said...

Oh cute!

Monty and Harlow

Ginnie said...

Looks like some North Carolina hillbilly creation ... I don't know about the "art" but it sure took a vivid imagination !

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.