LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, July 22, 2013

No, Not That Sybil

 
 
A new cat has adopted my son and d-i-l.  They noticed a kitten out in their yard.  Unusual for their neighborhood where cats and dogs do not ordinarily run free.  The kitten seemed young.  When they saw it a second day, they put out food and water.  The kitten would not approach them.  After a couple of days, the kitten sat outside the kitchen door, apparently having made a decision to declare this as home.  They opened the door and the kitten came inside.
 
They took the kitten to a guest bedroom to keep it isolated from their other cat.  The kitten seemed amazingly tame for a feral cat.  They took it to their veterinarian who examined her for a microchip but found none.  He then told them the kitten was not all that young at all; she is simply quite small.  He guessed her age to  be around seven or eight months.  She appeared in good health and the veterinarian sadly said she had likely been "dropped" in the area within the past week or so.
 
So they got her chipped and immunized and arranged to have her spayed.  They decided to name her Sybil.  Why Sybil?  Because they were finally emptying their unwatched DVR and were on the Downton Abbey episode regarding Sybil.
 
Sybil deciding to make her home here.

 
 
My son already has a cat.  You notice I said, "my son" rather than "my son and d-i-l."  That's because the cat belongs only to my son.  She was abandoned as a tiny kitten.  Only the presence of a nursing cat at the shelter kept the kitten alive.  My son adopted her when he was a new graduate, working as a newspaper reporter.  He named the kitten Biko.  Biko is unlike most cats.  She really doesn't care for people other than my son.  When you visit, Biko does not come near you much less climb into your lap.  She was definitely not pleased when my son married.  Biko was not happy to find another princess in the house.
 
It will be interesting to see how Biko and Sybil will get along.  The veterinarian suggests that since both are females they might simply ignore one another.  Time will tell.  Right now Sybil is still in the guest room although both of the cats hang around the door, each aware that there is another cat behind it.
 
My son would have you believe that Biko has perfect manners.  Perhaps she does.  And perhaps this photograph my d-i-l took of the Thanksgiving table was photo-shopped.  But somehow I suspect not. 
 
 
 At least she is on the very edge of the table.



Neither my son nor his wife were eager to have another cat.  But an adorable little calico won their hearts.  So little Sybil has found a home.  Hopefully Queen Biko will be willing to share it peacefully.

11 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Ha! Great post. Queen Biko, indeed. I love the little kitty...hope all works out.

Anonymous said...

I hope it all works out. Really very kind of your son and d-i-l to adopt another kitty cat.

Rae said...

The new kitty is pretty. I have always liked calicos. Am too allergic to have a cat of my own though. Hopefully the two cats can come to terms with each other and make things work.

KGMom said...

Love this story--it rings true to my experiences--yes, cats do find you and decide if you are worthy.
I too have a cat who is exclusive to me. My husband tries to pet her, which she tolerates for about...one minute. Then she tells him in no uncertain terms that his time petting her is up.
Hope Sybil is accepted and that Biko accepts, if not welcomes, her.

Arkansas Patti said...

How sweet of them to take in the adorable stray and to give her such good care. Maybe this cat will attach to your d i l and all will be well.

troutbirder said...

I love stories with a happy ending...:)

Busy Bee Suz said...

How wonderful for them to take in TWO cats who needed a home. I hope it all works out. Funny thing is, I've never heard of anyone going out 'looking' for a cat....they just seem to find us.

I'll not go on a rant about those owners who don't spay and neuter....they make me crazy!

KB said...

This story speaks volumes about your son and DIL. They are wonderful to save this kitty, and I am rooting for Biko and Sybil to be happy sharing the house. Perhaps Sybil will adopt your DIL? That would be nice.

Peruby said...

Maybe the two females will just ignore each other. Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

Owner of four cats. Two male, two female.

Dog_geek said...

Not that you (or your son) asked for advice, but from someone who's been there:

1. Get a Feliway diffuser or two.

2. Sprinkle catnip and/or spray Feliway near both sides of the door that separates the cats so that they start to build a positive association with each others' presence.

3. Rotate them through the house instead of keeping the new cat in just one room, so they get used to "living" in the other cat's smell for a while before they are introduced. For example, lock Biko on the master bedroom and let Sybil have run of the house for a day, and then lock her in another room and let Biko back out.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Dog_Geek - Thanks, they have indeed tried the Feliway and are moving the new cat to different rooms.