LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer Kickoff

Among many other things, Memorial Day signals the official start of the tourist season in Transylvania County. In addition to honoring the lives of veterans, Brevard hosts the White Squirrel Festival every Memorial Day weekend.

I have previously written about the Brevard white squirrels here. Regular readers know my feelings about squirrels, so I will not elaborate. We have official mascots for the festival. Being a person not fond of any mascot costumes, I am naturally not at all fond of the white squirrel.





The festival runs for two days and includes various vendors selling their wares.


In addition to the "main" musicians, there are groups all along the sidewalks playing for the public.



Potters and other artisans demonstrate and display their work.



The streets are packed with people of all ages.




There are two Squirrel Box Derby races. One is for the kids and one for the local merchants.





Jailhouse Hill (yep, that's what we call it) is blocked off for the running of the Squirrel Box Derby.
This year the White Squirrel Festival set a world record for the most people dancing in white squirrel costumes. People were invited to dress in costume (at minimum a tail, ears, and whiskers) and dance for five minutes. You may think this is such a silly record to break. After all, how many people actually try for this one? Truth is, it's not the record that is important. The entry fee for dancing was two cans of food. So one of the local food pantries, the Bread of Life received a very large stock of food. And, yes, the record was broken and officially belongs to Brevard NC.


NOTE: All of the above photographs came from area newspapers. Alas, I did not go downtown for the festival. There's just something too creepy about all those squirrel costumes.

14 comments:

robin andrea said...

I'm beginning to grow less fond of squirrels everyday.

Vicki Lane said...

I enjoy watching squirrels but I agree -- A bunch of people in white squirrel outfits is kinda creepy.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

The festival sounds pleasant but that mascot is CREE-PY!

KGMom said...

I think the squirrel is kinda cute. You know, black beady eyes. Cute nose. White fur.
What's not to like?
HA. Gotcha going, didn't I?

Anyway, I love these festivals that kick off summer. We have one here also--without the squirrels and thankfully without any mascot.

The Bug said...

That looks like a lot of fun. The squirrel comments remind me of a character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer who is afraid of rabbits. She dressed as a Playboy Bunny for Halloween because that was the scariest thing she could think of :)

Cheryl said...

Ha.....such a fun post. Must say, I am not overly fond of squirrels myself.....

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Carolyn, I remember you talking about this festival a year ago I think... I have never seen a white squirrel--but as much as I detest squirrels period, the color doesn't matter. ha ha

I'm having Arthroscopic Knee Surgery tomorrow. I pray this takes away this horrible pain.

Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am laughing at you and your dislike of furry mascots.
This does look like a lot of fun..and it is always great when food/money is collected for those in need.

KB said...

I figured that, if you saw it, you enjoyed the wildlife camera photo that I posted of a coyote carrying a just-killed squirrel down my driveway.

We noticed some odd bite marks on the sides of our bird nest boxes and discovered that a squirrel had chewed a hole in each of 3 boxes on the roof. We've repaired them but the birds haven't used them yet. I wonder if they will this year...

Maybe the squirrel who originated the technique was the one in the maw of the coyote.

carolina nana said...

I hate I missed the festival,I intended on coming then got too busy yo get away. I like to browse the craft booths and listen to the music.But no I wouldn't have danced in a squirrel costume either.
Blessings to you Marilyn

D.K. Wall said...

I think we have discussed this before, but no squirrels up where we live except those flying kind (and they are rare). Kind of nice to not deal with them.

kks said...

what a lovely event to collect canned food...i personally like to stay away from crowds, especially when they are dressed as squirrels!
xoxo

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

KB - Yes, I saw the coyote post. Unfortunately, our coyotes seem to prefer bunnies.

How Sam Sees It said...

Hmmm... The squirrel costume is a little disturbing...

Sam