LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Community Art in the Park

Our little community is home to some very talented people. A surprising number of our neighbors paint, throw pots, quilt, or do other beautiful art projects. Annually we have "Art in the Park," a chance for the artists to display and sell their artwork to the community.

I should mention that artists are limited to our gated community, not the town. Having little artistic talent myself, I have such great admiration for painters and potters. I always look forward to "Art in the Park."

[You may want to click on the pictures to enlarge them for detail.]





Gourd art is very popular around here. Perhaps it is because the climate is perfect for growing these large gourds.

One of the artists displays on easels in the grass. She wisely selected a shaded spot.


Some of the paintings are oil and many are watercolor.
Most depict local scenery and points of interest.




More gourd art. The giraffe is made from two gourds...the crooked-neck for the body and a smaller one for the head.
Some artwork is framed, but most are matted without frames.



This artist prefers a clothesline display.

It was such a nice morning and we really enjoyed seeing the artists and meeting our neighbors. How nice it is to live among so many talented people.

19 comments:

cedrorum said...

How cool. I love visiting displays like this.

Beth said...

These are truly beautiful. There is such talent in the mountain area through Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. I think that is unmatched by any that I have found in other parts of the oountry.

Rudee said...

Beautiful art. I hope the artists did well.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That is neat, Carolyn---especially since it is just for your gated community.. What a neat way to meet and greet neighbors!!!! Do they just 'display' it--or do they sell it..

I loved that giraffe gourd... Cute!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Rae said...

Our Arts in The Park will be in a few weeks and I can hardly wait after seeing this pictures.

D.K. Wall said...

Oh, we missed it. We were down in Hendersonville on Saturday and drove back to Maggie via 276 (a little slow, but a wonderful drive). Did not think to veer off in Brevard and check things out. Wish we had.

Cheryl said...

It must be the mountain air....what talented people....

I would have loved to see the paintings......something I am very interested in......

Jane said...

Ah!! To be in the mountains at an art fair! Have been to many around Blowing Rock! Hope you guys had a blast,

Jane and Gunny

KB said...

Wow, artistic talent amazes me - since I have none. Sounds like you had a great morning!

Shelley said...

Very nice to see these artists pieces! Loved the gourd art - I've been wanting a gourd birdhouse.

Jayne said...

Those gourds are so beautiful. What creativity! You certainly DO have lots of talent in your little nook of the woods.

Appalachian Lady said...

That looks like a great art show. I especially liked the gourds.

Cedar ... said...

the watercolors of flowers look interesting. looks like it was a great event!

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks, folks for your comments.

Beth - We do seem to serve as a magnet for artists and writers.

Gundo - Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I have been to the Blowing Rock Art in the Park several times. We always find something there.

Shelley, Jayne, Appalachian - The gourds were lovely. In fact, we bought a big hen created from one. She sits beside an antique egg basket on top of our kitchen cabinets.

Cedar - We have several watercolors from our local artists. They are lovely and very inexpensive.

George said...

You definitely have some very talented neighbors. It looks as if 'Art in the Park' is a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Very cool gourd art. It is amazing what talents people have.

Cicero Sings said...

Almost all my friends are artistic ... and I'm just so not! Oh well, I enjoy the good things they do and try and be satisfied with my own talents.

Jeannette StG said...

Great to have so many artists there!

Leedra said...

I like the Giraffe. That would be a conversation piece.