LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, September 13, 2019

More Good News

It seems my cancer markers are still down, indicating no cancer growth.  To say I am grateful is an understatement.  In fact, I don't need to see my oncologist for three months.  So other than monthly flushes of my infusion port, I won't be traveling to the chemo clinic for a quarter of a year.  We have no idea what the future holds or how long the remaining cancer cells will remain dormant.  But we refuse to focus on that.  We are taking the good news for what it is and no more.  And I still wake up every morning and say aloud, "thank you for another day."  I don't specify to whom it is addressed so that it will cover all to whom it may concern.

We gave the miniature fishing cabinet to my oncologist after the visit and he was delighted.  His face lit up like a little boy with his first electric train (or whatever is the modern-day equivalent).  He kept pointing out tiny little things and said it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen.  I offered to help him put it back in the padded gift bag and he refused.  He wanted to carry it to his office in his hands.  All three of us - the doctor, my husband, and I - left the office smiling broadly.

I saw a couple of the nurses as I was leaving and they ran up to me clapping because they already knew about my good counts.  They are absolutely the most caring and wonderful people I have ever met in such horrible times.

I have several things on my schedule for the next month, not the least of which is a visit from our daughter.  So I am going to be pretty busy as I relish my good fortune.  I'll take a break from blogging unless something important comes along.

I will leave you with an early autumn photograph taken right in our community. I took it at the base of one waterfall, pointing at the larger waterfall for whom our community is named.





And the lovely area known as John Rock, now a fish hatchery with a popular hiking trail to the top of the rock.   I took these photographs several years ago when the fall color was truly spectacular.





Today's first quote is from Ingrid Bergman:
"Every day that I challenge this cancer and survive is a victory for me."

I've been a poetry lover since the sing-song rhymes I first heard in early childhood.  One of the best things about Kindle is that I can carry poetry anthologies (or complete works) around with me. 
I will share my favorite autumn poem, "God's World" by Edna St. Vincent Millay.  Think on it as you see the fall colors.

Oh world, I cannot hold thee close enough!
     Thy winds, thy wide gray skies,
     Thy mists that roll and rise!
Thy woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag
And all but cry with colour!  That gaunt crag
To crush! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, World, I cannot get thee close enough.

Long have I known the glory in it all,
     But never knew I this;
     Here such a passion is
As stretcheth me apart,---Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year,
My soul is all but out of me,--let fall
No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird calll.




HAVE A WONDERFUL FEW WEEKS

ENJOY THE AUTUMN

NANCE SAYS IT DELAYS THE WINTER

15 comments:

Nance said...

Oh, Caroline! This is such joyous news! I am so thrilled to hear it.

Take the time to Live your Joy with as few encumbrances as you may. Be Out In It!

Oh, what Happiness!

Vicki Lane said...

What superb news! Enjoy EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful news! I am so happy for you and for your family. Enjoy every moment with your daughter and this beautiful fall. Take care and stay well, my friend.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am delighted with your great results. Each step forward is one you won't have to take later. Progress only accepted here. Have a marvelous visit with your daughter and may each day bring you pleasure. Keep up the great work.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I am thrilled for you and will miss your wonderful quotes. Please be sure to come back after your visit with your daughter. We all gain so much by knowing you.

KB said...

I am so happy about your results. You are a bright shining example of seizing each day and being filled for gratitude for each one. I am smiling widely for you.

Enjoy your daughter. I hope that the foliage is glorious for you!!!!

Also, the story of the oncologist and his gift made me grin and grin!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Even though we've never met, I (of course) consider you a friend, and share in the joy of this news! Your kindness and thoughtfulness and the gratitude for feel each day are truly examples to remember and follow. Take care, and know that I'm sending all my love and best vibes in your direction!! See you back soon!!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what wonderful news. So happy for you. As everyone has already said (I'm late to this party!) I wish you have a great time with family and the time of year. It is my favorite. I know you'll be enjoying everything. Drink of the cup of joy.

The Bug said...

Yay yay yay! So happy for you! Enjoy your daughter time. I've been really (really) missing my mother lately, so tell her to give you an extra big hug from me :)

Maggie said...

I just discovered your blog and love it! I feel like you're a kindred spirit. So glad your health news is encouraging. Will pray for you (disclosure: liberal Episcopal deacon here). BTW we live in the same state but I'm in the triad region (though am a native New Yorker). Looking forward to more reading!

NCmountainwoman said...

Dear Blogger Friends,
Thank you so much for sharing my good news. I hope all of you have a wonderful month. And welcome, Maggie. Thank you for your prayers.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I’m a little late in reading this post, but wanted to add my yeahs on the wonderful news. I know from talking with a dear friend how wonderful news like this is to receive. Enjoy your time with family, you will be missed, but everyone needs to take a break. Nice to hear how your oncologist reacted to that wonderful surprise! As always, you have left us with wonderful quotes to ponder. Happy autumn days to you as well.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am SO very happy that your markers are down and you continue to gain health. Praise be!!
I think the little cabinet was such a special gift too.
I love the fall photos and your poem too. Wishing you a great visit with your daughter.

Vicki Lane said...

Every time I check back to see if you've posted a new piece, I read that first sentence and grin. So happy for you!

NCmountainwoman said...

Beatrice - It's never too late. Thanks for the good wishes.

Suz - Thank you so much

Vicki - So far, so good. Thanks