LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, May 31, 2019

Friday Again

Suddenly it is hot and dry after all those weeks of rain.  Plants actually need to be watered for the first time in quIte a while.

Little Violet has improved dramatically as expected.  She has a lingering cough, worse at night but has been several days now without a fever.  No more constant cuddling for this little girl.  She wants to be out and going.

Their household is home to two cats, one found them one winter day but she was hardly free.  After several days the cat still hung around their doorstep so they took her in the veterinarian right away to see if she had a chip and to check her for any disease or parasites.  (They already had one cat.)  When their first cat died they went to the local shelter to look for another.  There was a trembling little kitten who was days away from being euthanized.  She was a tiny little thing born with neurological disabilities and considered un-adoptable, so they truly rescued her.  The little cat has improved dramatically as she has learned to accommodate for her disability.  She is rather shy.

But the cat who found them immediately figured that she had a new responsibility the day they brought Violet home from the hospital.  She is never far from Violet and Violet adores the cat right back.  She gave Violet a lot of comfort while she had croup.

Hair a mess from feverish sleep, Violet confers with her friend.


There are times when it seems Violet is patterning her life after the cats.  She loves to crawl behind curtains, hide in boxes, and climb in baskets.

What?  I like it in here.


This is a photograph my son took with his phone while a photographer was taking a picture of Violet.  So I don't feel obliged to credit the photographer since she did not take this particular photograph.  My son did.


I had a little mouse who gave brief thought to building a nest in the back of my car's front passenger seat.  Two days. That's how long she was in there.  That's all.  Two days.  While it appears to be no more than two tiny slits in the leather and pulling out bits of foam, the little devil was also chewing wires.  The cost of the repairs is unbelievable and the length of time I will have to wait makes me long for fewer electronic devices.  Almost.  The dealer will actually have to completely replace both the seat and the back and then re-wire and re-program the computer.  All because of one little mouse in two days.

That is a preamble that due to car repairs plus several most welcome visits, I will not likely post for several weeks.  I finish my last chemotherapy treatment in two more weeks and then undergo another round of blood work and scans.  I feel good, but we do remember what a dreadfully sly bitch cancer can be, especially the ovarian branch of the family.  But I will return.

I will leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes about survival.  I have already survived (and well, thank you very much) beyond initial hopes at my original diagnosis and surgery so I say, 'why not keep on keeping on?'

Aristotle said:
"The ultimate value of life depends upon awareness and the power of contemplation rather than upon mere survival."

And this one from Marcus Aurelius:
"When you arise every morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive---to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."



HAVE A WONDERFUL MONTH, EVERYONE

REMEMBER HOW TRULY PRECIOUS LIFE IS

AND LIFE IT TO THE FULLEST

15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So great that Violet is better, and I love her cat friend. Also glad you're feeling well and looking at the end of chemo. Have a good time visiting. So glad our weather had a break finally.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sooo happy Violet is doing better. Her cat friend looks a lot like Minnie. Too funny the pic of her in the basket. That really is cat like.
Amen on an end to the chemo. Now just keep getting better.
I totally agree with Marcus.

The Bug said...

Violet in a basket is adorable! Those eyes - who could refuse her anything?

I wish you well on your hiatus & extra well on your final chemo & the next set of scans!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news that Violet is recovering well and letting her inner kitty cat show. Sweet rescue stories too. Sorry to hear about the mouse, the car damage, and the costs. Hope all goes well with the chemo and scans. Will be thinking of you during your blogging hiatus. Take care there.

Vicki Lane said...

So glad that Violet is better and how adorable to think she's imitating her friend the cat. And hurrah for the last of the chemo and a big YES to feeling good and keeping on!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm glad that Violet is feeling better! You take care, my friend, and know that I'm sending all the best of vibes and prayers from my corner of VA!

Nance said...

Enjoy your hiatus in the best of health and relaxation. I will be thinking of you and sending you all my best.

Tara said...

the photos of Violet are, of course, adorable. Especially the one with her cat.

Damn that little mouse! I don't suppose your car insurance covers damage by critters? And how in the world are you supposed to keep them out if they want in? You can't. Even with your care in keeping a clean interior, they do love electrical wire. What the hell?

Glad to hear your chemo is soon coming to an end. Your middle name could be "Vigilant Follow-up!" And you're right, the ovarian kind is a sly and nasty bitch. You have been victorious, so I hope you continue to be for a very very long time, Carolyn.

Enjoy your most welcomed company (good times!) and I look forward to your return to blogging. (Those quotes btw, yes. A good reminder to us all when the blues seem to overcome us at times.)

Busy Bee Suz said...

My heart is always delighted to see an update about your sweet Violet; she's a peach.
I can't believe what a little mouse can do! I had NO idea.
I'm happy that you're finishing your chemo AND feeling well. Wishing you continued health and healing.
XO

KB said...

You have a wonderful month too! Enjoy your visits... And I hope that the mouse is gone for good. We have had critter damage too so we know how frustrating it is!

Yay for Violet. I'm so glad that she's on the mend after a tough illness. Take care and good luck with the scans.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Drat that a mouse caused such damage which I was aware they could do. Enjoy 😊 your blog hiatus and thanks for your recent comment on my travel posts. We have been enjoying our trip and there is nothing like seeing the US and by 🚙 Glad to read that Violet is doing better and lived the very cute photos of her and the cat too. Hope all goes well with the upcoming tests and enjoy those visits as we are doing now.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I will be looking for your return. I always love what you have to say and wish you the very best with this new challenge. Hugs. Ginnie

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Violet is just precious! Kids and animals what a nice mix! Good to see your Lucy is still going strong...and I hope the chemo does it's thing and works some magic for a full recovery! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful photographs here.
Prayers for your continued health and good healing.

All the best Jan

Joared said...

What an inconsiderate mouse! Violet is so cute as is that photo your son took. Will be thinking of you in these weeks, sending positive wishes, so do keep keepin’ on! !