LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, September 28, 2018

We Love Lucy

We're having another rainy week.  The rain is scattered and unpredictable.  So we've taken the UK point of view...put on a slicker and just go.  My walk now is on our hilly streets rather than the track and it feels so good to be gaining strength.  The walking does me a world of good so I'm not letting a little rain stop me.  I push myself a little more every day and it seems to be paying off.  How wonderful to hear the birdsong, to startle some deer, and enjoy the peace of nature's sounds.  Unlike before, I do not listen to music or podcasts while I walk.  I want to embrace the outside world, a world I was away from for many months.

I digress.  This post is supposed to be about Lucy.  As most of you know already, Lucy hates the rain.  Even warm rain.  She is quite slow in getting up from her bed if it's raining outside.  Amazing how much the rain affects her hearing.  If it's raining we usually have to call her twice.  In normal weather, she is up immediately.

What did you say?  You can't seriously want me to go outside again, Mom.
You know how I hate the rain and I'm quite comfortable right here.

We feared she might be losing her hearing, and she probably is losing some as she ages.  But if she is downstairs with the TV on, and I start to chop vegetables or fill the doggie treat jar, she is upstairs in a flash.  So it appears her hearing is definitely selective.

Here in the United States, we are caught up in a very controversial Senate Judiciary Hearing for a Supreme Court nominee.  There are many, (myself included) who believe the process of this particular hearing has been flawed by overwhelming partisanship, the likes of which we seldom see.  It makes us wonder about our Pledge of Allegiance when ends, "and justice for all."  Soon we will hear the already-determined outcome.

It is fitting that today's quotes are about justice.  The first is by Saint Thomas Aquinas:

Justice is a certain rectitude of mind whereby a man does what he ought to do in circumstances confronting him.

The second quote is by Elie Wiesel, Nobel laureate, holocaust survivor and political activist:
And protest we must in our own ways.
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK AHEAD, EVERYONE.
ENJOY THE SOUNDS OF NATURE

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Your first paragraph warmed my heart. I felt I was walking with you.
I am so pleased your strength is coming back to you.

Yes strange selective hearing, I believe my husband has that condition :)

Hope the weather improved for Lucy. Nella totally understands.

Enjoy your weekend.

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you are listening to Nature during your walks. She is an ever changing tune. I will definitely protest in the voting booth soon.

Nance said...

Even when my walks become repetitive, I stay away from using my phone. I want to be Fully Present and observant for that time in Nature. Practicing mindfulness and gratitude is good for me as I also get some physical exercise.

So glad you are gaining strength and vitality. So glad!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to be reminded that we can walk in the rain...and the point of the walk is to enjoy nature, with the joy of returning stamina. Thanks for the quotes. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are out walking, listening to the birds, and getting stronger. Such wonderful, positive news. Yay! I understand Lucy's reluctance to go out in the rain. I have it too, but am trying to work on that with our rainy winter coming. Oh the news, it really has been so stressful. With the FBI investigation, though, I'm hoping for at least some sanity. Amazing how absurdly hopeful I am!

Tara said...

I'm so glad that you are getting stronger, returning to nature and enjoying the truly great outdoors! A sweet return to something you've been missing.

Lucy cracks me up -- that dog's hearing is JUST FINE.

Thank you for those quotes; I needed to see them today. I'm just beyond fatigued with all this national craziness, woman hating power plays. We always have our voice if we demand it.

Vicki Lane said...

I agree -- music or a podcast is no match for Nature's gentle symphony. Getting out and hearing the rustle of leaves or the chatter of squirrels is a welcome antidote to the braying of fools I listened to earlier in the week. No matter what the FBI "investigation lite" shows, Kavanaugh's emotional performance and partisan threats show that he isn't suited for ANY bench, anywhere. Well, maybe on reality TV . . .

KB said...

I agree with you 100% about just being present while outdoors exercising. I hear so many animals, and I'm more aware just in case something dangerous is around.

I love reading about your joy in getting stronger and being able to be outdoors walking again. Yipee!

This past week of news has been terrible. The confirmation process is making the divides in our country deeper and wider. Why can't people try to understand the point of views that don't jibe with their own? If people would be just slightly compassionate to the "other side", perhaps our democracy would work.

Lowcarb team member said...

I am just so pleased to read that your strength is coming back to you.
Hoping the weather improves a little for you … here in the UK many areas have been blessed with some wonderful Autumnal sunny days.

My continued good wishes

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What wonderful news to read about how you enjoyed your outdoors walk. Glad you are feeling stronger every day. I agree with Lucy that rainy days are for napping safe and dry indoors.