LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, August 26, 2016

We Love Lucy


Time is still a-flying.  Next week is September.  Our weather has turned hot and humid once again, and darkness falls far too early in the evenings while the sun sleeps in later every morning now.  And that will get far worse before it turns around.

Wouldn't it be nice if we just totally suspended all the Presidential campaign rhetoric?  Given the two major party candidates, breathes there a soul who is going to change his/her mind at this point?  Or doesn't know already he/she will choose a third-party candidate instead?  Or simply choose not to vote?  I cannot think of a single thing that would change my mind at this point.  I'd rather see a bit more attention given to the candidates "down ticket" and much less to the Presidential candidates.

Living a dog's life may be easier.  Our Lucy cares not a whit about elections or anything outside her insulated little world.  She does worry a little bit about dinner.  If my husband so much as moves in his chair anytime between 4:15 and 4:30, Lucy is on her feet just in case he has forgotten that dinnertime is 4:30.  This in spite of the fact that no one has ever forgotten her dinner.  Not once.


Lucy, up close and personal

We have two quotes for today.  Both of them on the lighter side.

The first is from the late Terry Pratchett.  Actually that is SIR Terry Pratchett, genius extraordinaire:


The trouble with having an open mind, of course,
is that people will insist on coming along
and trying to put things in it.

The second is from old reliable, Mark Twain:

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.




HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE
HELP OTHERS
THEN HAVE SOME FUN


 

13 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Great quotes, and a wonderful picture of the quentessential "lucky dog" :D I so wish we could reform our electoral system. It is insane for a presidential race to last more than a year! Insane, and criminally wasteful of money when the world's needs are so great. Ugh.

The Bug said...

I'm scheduled to canvass for Hillary today (my first time ever doing something like that), but I wonder what the point is. I'm probably one of about 20 Democrats in our town - ha! Actually, though, I fell last night & I'm feeling rather tender today so I think I'll call & cancel. (No worries about the fall - I was doing something stupid which I KNEW would result in a fall, but did it anyway. I landed on my considerable backside - didn't break it this time, but it's pretty sore. Sitting on ice right now. Sigh.)

Cheryl said...

A dog's life indeed......simplicity itself.

My Grandchildren are much the same......at 5.00 they all seem to congregate in the kitchen, knowing that dinner is not too far away :)

I have been watching the candidates.............it seems relentless.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Dogs like routine! Chance is the same way, someone should be cooking at 5:30 for supper at 6...he dines with us. Can you say spoiled!
My mind is made up who I am voting for...not much of a choice but the lesser of the evils...I think it is really sad that we don't have a hero to vote for. I think that is what America needs a hero. I am also tired of the dirty politics say something positive already and tell me what you will do for me! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

I agree, how can anyone still be undecided now? Yes, I envy the dogs. Life is so simple and their leader has all ready been chosen for life.
Callie has a 3:00 dinner but she keeps hoping for the best from 2:00 on.
Loved Sir.Terry's thoughts.

Nance said...

All I can do is to heartily agree with all in your post, right down to Pet Behaviour. I have two cats, and even an hour before regular Feeding Time, they begin their Approach. They start staring at me, then sitting ever closer, then outright Sinister Perching at my side.

As a matter of fact, that's kind of how I'm starting to feel about this election and all the ads here in Ohio (Swing State To End All Swing States).

Anonymous said...

The light is changing so fast these days. It is a little startling to look at the clock to see what time it is as the sun goes down. Absolutely true about minds made up already. I don't think there is much that could change my mind at this point. November can't get here soon enough. Just think, between now and then there may even be debates. OY. Lucy has the right idea. Great quotes.

Vicki Lane said...

It's quite an election year. I'm trying to restrain myself, knowing that, as you say, no minds are likely to be changed at this point.

The little break of cool weather only mde the past few days seem worse than ever. But a lovely rain late yesterday was welcome relief.

May we all survive the weather and the politics. Good time to be a dog.

Barbara Rogers said...

It's all about time, somehow...animals want their feeding earlier, politicians want you to think about them earlier...time to slow down. At least a dogs (cats) life is not going to have the same personal slams of politics. Love Prattchet's quote. Maybe it's time to read another one of his books and get some Victorian satire perspective.

troutbirder said...

You can definitely count on Mark Twain to hit the bulls eye...

Lowcarb team member said...

Dear Lucy looks so comfy on her blue pillow.

"Time is still a-flying. Next week is September." This year really is going by so quickly and slowly the plants and trees will be telling us the same as the colours alter for the Autumn (Fall).

Enjoy these last few days of our eighth month

All the best Jan

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Linthead - Well said. I totally agree

Bug - Hope you are on the mend. Why do we not listen to ourselves when that little voice says, "This is probably not a good idea...?"

Cheryl - I think Nella has it pretty good as well.

Far Side - I couldn't agree more.

Patti - I can imagine Callie, always hopeful.

Nance - NC is also a highly courted swing state. So many disgusting political ads, especially from our very disappointing governor.

Robin - I have serious doubts about a debate coming to fruition. Of course my husband is certain that it will.

Vicki - The respite was indeed far too short and makes the return of hot and humid all the worse.

Barbara - Good point. I"m sure the next election process will begin in early 2017.

Troutbirder - Yes, you can count on his wisdom almost every time.

KB said...

We've been away from society in the mountains for a couple of weeks so I've found myself interested in the stupidity of the presidential rhetoric over the past day. I'm sure that I'll be tired of it very fast.

We love Lucy too, and I know that you'll never forget her dinner!

I love that second quote. However, sometimes I think that the "unknown unknowns" might be the biggest problem for many, including me!