LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Monday, June 27, 2016

A Cardinal Follows Suit


It seems our deck rail has now become something of a feeding station.  Last week I showed you the Pileated Woodpeckers.  And this time it's a Northern Cardinal.

A very young cardinal, hardly able even to fly to the deck rail, sat looking rather confused.  I'm not sure I have ever seen a cardinal this young out of the nest.

[You may wish to click to enlarge the photographs]

A face only a mother or father could love


 The father flew to the bird feeder and returned with sunflower chips.  He fed the sweet little thing right there on the deck rail.

 He puts the food far down in the baby's mouth



 The father flew off to get more food.  He returned several times to feed his chick.

 I hope this little one does well.
I'm sure it will be a gorgeous bird one day.


Thoughts go out to those affected by the flooding in West Virginia and the continued raging wildfires in California.  And to all those suffering wherever they may be.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! You did get to see the most wonderful sights on your deck railing. What a good dad; what a cute baby cardinal. The beauty of life right there!

Nance said...

It's the season for baby cardinals. We've got twins at our window feeder, and they make such a racket, waiting for their father to feed them! Sometimes they get impatient and flutter so madly that they land on top of Dad, causing a hilarious chain reaction. I can't get over how clumsy and loud they are.

Birdwatching--Nature Watching in general, really--is always such a rewarding hobby. Thanks for sharing your lucky Up Close Moments.

Tara said...

I'm sorry, but that baby (in the first photo anyway) looks like Drumpf. I love the shot with dad flying away. Wow.

Was just reading about the teachers arrested in Raleigh. Holy cow. I feel bad for school teachers and their students in NC!

Arkansas Patti said...

Now that is a sight we don't often get to see so up close. I wouldn't have recognized him with out his great looking dad doing the feeding. He has a way to go before looking Cardinally.
You are right, our country is hurting in so many places these days.

Carolina Linthead said...

We had a couple of young cardinals around our feeders last summer. I most often saw them with Mom. I called them Cheryl (mom), Emily and Abigail, after dear friends of mine. Beautiful pics capturing such tender moments.

How Sam Sees It said...

Oh how pretty! I need to remember to put up a few feeders at our place - it'll be fun to watch the birds!

Monty, Harlow and Ramble

Kay G. said...

Yes! The juvenile cardinal will grow to be a gorgeous adult bird! Isn't it something how the male is one who you see feeding the young? We have seen this for years on our deck and we never cease marveling over it!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such lovely sweet photo's ... they certainly seem very happy on your deck rail.

Enjoy these last few days of June.

All the best Jan

KB said...

Your deck rail is a popular place for youngsters this summer. Lucky you. And lucky us because we get to see the amazing photos. I hope that little Cardinal grows up strong and healthy.

Ms. A said...

My daughter has TONS of cardinals, but I don't think I've ever see a really young one. Great shots!