LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Don't Try This



A couple of weeks ago we had some unusually cold weather.  How cold was it?  So cold that the waterfalls partially froze.  I think "partially" is the operative word here.  But that did not deter one ice climber intent on adding Looking Glass Falls to his list.

It seems like poor judgment to me.  Only a few feet to the climber's right, the water is running freely over the falls.

You may want to click to enlarge.

Photograph from the local newspaper, not credited



We did not go to visit the frozen falls this year, although we have been in the past.  As you can see below, the waterfall was not as frozen on our last visit as it appeared above a couple of weeks ago.  It was so cold and dark that everything has a blue tint to it.  There were no other souls around on our visit.



Today is balmy and feels wonderful.  What a treat to sit on the deck once again.  Tomorrow the temperatures will drop dramatically.  But this is March so we don't have too long to wait.



10 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

Technical ice is inherently dangerous. Either this is a rock climber who doesn't appreciate the difference, or an ice climber who has his A game going. Really, for that kind of ice climbing, falling is not an option...so I assume he knew exactly the risks and thought it worth a go. Beautiful to see the frozen falls, but scary stuff, for sure!

Ms. A said...

Not a chance in the world that I'd be trying that! Heck, I'd be doing good to even be out in that kind of weather, just watching!

We had a warm day yesterday and today, but the weather is dropping as I type this.

NCmountainwoman said...

Yes, the climber is an experienced ice climber and has climbed many frozen waterfalls. He decided to climb Looking Glass because it rarely freezes this much and he felt it was his only chance. He admitted it was a bit of a risk, even for him and his expertise.

Carolina Linthead said...

That's what I figured...it is a brilliant pic!

KB said...

I can see that he used a rope but it looked like it still would be a long fall (because it was anchored below him, and the anchor might have been in ice too!).

It is a beautiful waterfall. And don't worry - I'm not trying anything like that!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think he is crazy...but then again, I don't even want to climb a ladder! So glad you're getting some outside time again.

Arkansas Patti said...

That is one nervy fellow. Good to know he was an experienced ice climber. I saw footage of one doing that at Niagara and thought he was nuts. Different strokes for sure.

troutbirder said...

I guess it's his business until other people end up risking their lives to save such fool hardies...:(

The Bug said...

Yikes! I'm not so much concerned about the danger - it just makes me extra cold to watch him (reaches back to get the blanket off the back of my chair) :)

Vicki Lane said...

Yikes! Glad I'm not his/her mother.