LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

No Such Thing as Normal


Other than the usual morning mist and fog, very little about our weather has been "normal."  We have had late snow, colder than normal temperatures and warmer than normal temperatures.  Today we are enjoying much warmer than normal temperatures.  We might even reach a new high for the date.  It feels much more like May than early April.

A walk around the house reveals much improvement in the plant life.

One of a few camellias that got to blossom fully




 The hellibores looking much healthier




 We have a lot of ducks about the yard.
This one looks at the plants while enjoying his stogie.
Remember it's art if you love it.




 Another fully blossoming camellia.  Occasionally we have the blossoms all over
This year they are few and far between with most buds dropping before blooming

As I walk around the yard and into the woods this spring, I miss sweet Ellie even more than usual.  Spring without her is a little bittersweet.





11 comments:

Tara said...

the camelia is practically the official flower of my city -- they are everywhere and bloom like crazy.

that is a wonderful photo of Ellie. I have a Golden in my life these days, the dog of a good friend, and he makes me think of Ellie a lot.

xo

Arkansas Patti said...

Sadly I recently heard that scientists are saying that this recent abnormal is our new normal. A bit ominous.
We don't forget do we?

Ms. A said...

What you have is looking great!

Awwww, Sweet Ellie... I know you miss her terribly.

KB said...

What lovely flowers. I can enjoy your Springtime from afar. I am sure that every new time without Ellie is bittersweet... Sending you loving thoughts. I understand.

Vicki Lane said...

No camellias here but it's been a gorgeous day and my hellebores are magnificent -- thanks for the reminder about hummingbird feeders. And I'm glad you've recovered from the virus!

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the header of the valley...which is formed by beautiful mountains. Is it sunset? What's the town?

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Love your Camelia's. I always forget that other parts of the country get flowers in winter and early spring. I hope that as spring fully blossoms, your sadness will be replaced with joy.
Hope you day is great.
Noreen

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, the sting of missing those that we love. It never goes away.
I love your camellias so much and that smoking duck is adorable.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Tara - We are on the edge of the growing area for them and often we lose all the buds before they bloom.

Patti - I am so afraid that is right.

KB - Yes, I know you do indeed understand.

B Rogers - The header was taken at sunset right here in our community. I love the way it looks out over the lovely valley with the mountains behind.

Louvregirl said...

Oh! The flowers are gorgeous!

Lise said...

Your blooms are so pretty.

I'm sorry you are missing Ellie so, I'll bet Lucy feels it too.