LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, May 6, 2011

Fridays are Golden

Our dogs get plenty of exercise.  They have at least one really long walk and three shorter walks every day.  We take them hiking on the forest trails.  They get to run and play in our woods.  Playing in the woods is not so much exercise as you might think.  Yes, they chase each other for a while.  But most of the time in the woods is spent smelling, sniffing the ground and picking up sticks.

Their favorite exercise comes when we take them to the top of the dam of one of our community lakes.  Summer will bring swimmers and fishermen, but during spring, fall, and winter we have the place to ourselves.  And we take advantage of it as often as possible.

Lucy is our sprinter.  She doesn't know how to pace herself.  She just runs and runs until she is exhausted and stops to rest.



Lucy, slow down a little.  We're going to be here for a while.


Can't stop.  Gotta run, gotta run, gotta run.




Lucy, you act as if we aren't here...that it's only you.

OK  I'll smile for you next time I run past.  But I gotta run.




If you will make me a cape, I can be airborne like Superdog!




All right.  I'll slow down, but only just a little.




Lucy, don't go in the lake.

Why would I do that?  You can't run in the water.




I can run even in this tall grass.




Maybe I can be a pointer.  I will point out to Ellie that you posted only photographs of me.



There used to be a television show that I liked.  It was called "That Was the Week That Was."  And that's how I feel about this week.  So many important happenings in the lives of Americans and people with whom we share this planet.  Some of us have heart break because of the flooding,   Some of us were excited about the royal wedding.  And all of us harbor mixed feelings about the execution of Bin Laden.  There are so many feelings that fill us this week.  Not to mention personal losses and triumphs.

I hope you have an outlet for your emotions.  There's no other way to get through life.  Lucy tells us to let it go and enjoy every minute we have.  So this weekend I hope you will do that.


HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND, EVERYONE

15 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh to live with the same reckless abandon that our dogs do! They teach us so much. Have a wonderful weekend.

Toni aka irishlas said...

That's good advice, Lucy!

Karin said...

Oh, to run, run, run like your golden girls - they are beautiful and so fit looking! Thanks for your post!

Rudee said...

That Lucy--she's just a bundle of energy. I wish I could get a little of that.

How Sam Sees It said...

She's really enjoying herself, isn't she?

Sam

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm with Lucy!!!!!
Have a beautiful Mother's day!
xo

sheri said...

i'm enjoying your blog --- and I have it listed in my "blog list" on my blog:
sheri-myownbackyard.blogspot.com
I have a "golden" too -- just one, named Missy! Aren't they great!?

Ruth said...

Walking with your dogs would be a wonderful outlet for any negative emotions. Who could feel down with such spirited and beautiful companions?

Vicki Lane said...

Pure joy!

Cicero Sings said...

Some great action shots of Lucy! Oh to run with the wind in your ears. Mingus likes to run AND bark! Barking just heightens the excitement! ... at least in his mind.

His half/sister got bit by another dog yesterday and had to have 6 staples put in today ... but that's another story.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Great pictures and another enjoyable post! One of our dogs, Sheba, runs like the wind too--It's wonderful to see them enjoy their lives, and it makes me enjoy mine a lot more too!!

Thank-you for the kind comment on my blog--Hamlet is doing really really well. It was just over a year ago he had his first surgery. He has come a long way, and I know these are good and happy days for him, and me too!

Enjoy your weekend!

carolina nana said...

HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY

Cheryl said...

Such a lovely post. Enjoy life, it is for living and Lucy is a fine example of that.

I personally have many thoughts go around in my head, particularly over the killing of Bin Laden. I think most of us will.....

Enjoy your lovely walks and live for the moment.....

D.K. Wall said...

Sometimes life is just meant to be enjoyed at full speed.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Kathy - How true.

Karin - Thanks. They are fit indeed. Everytime we visit the vet he is delighted. He says he sees so many overweight dogs that Lucy and Ellie are wonderful to behold.

Rudee - Me too. Lucy goes at full speed.

Sheri - Thanks.

Cicero - How awful about the bite. Too bad everyone doesn't bother to control their dogs.

Kim - There seems to be something in some dogs that makes them want to run and run.

Cheryl - Like you I'm filled with mixed emotions. Wish I could wander through your garden to work through some of them.

Herd - Right on!