LIFE'S BETTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

Friday, July 9, 2010

Fridays are Golden

Just like the fireworks...colorful, fun, and entertaining. Appropriate that our Lucy was born on the Fourth of July! Last Sunday was Lucy's fifth birthday.

Frankly, I did not see the need for a second dog. After all, we already had the best dog in the world. But my husband's dream was to have two Golden Retrievers when he retired. Since retirement was planned in 2006, it seemed reasonable to get a puppy in 2005. I jokingly told him that if we got another dog then I would have to quit work. To my surprise he said, "That's a great idea!" So Lucy was the catalyst for my retirement.

We had planned to name the new puppy Abigail in honor of my second favorite First Lady, Abigail Adams. We quickly determined that "Abby" and "Ellie" sounded too much alike. In addition, this little fuzz ball just looked like a "Lucy." So Lucy received her name from a First Lady...not because she was so much admired but because her name was Lucy.

Lucy Hayes was called "Lemonade Lucy" because she rid the White House of alcoholic beverages and served lemonade to guests. She was the first First Lady to have a college degree. A devout Methodist, Lucy also banned card playing and even dancing. Alcohol was served at the White House only on a single occasion. In 1877 a group of Russians came to visit and the staff felt that they would be insulted if they were not served vodka.

Today's extreme sector of the right would love Lucy Hayes. During the term of Rutherford B. Hayes the White House held daily prayer sessions, Bible readings along with hymn singing. No card playing. No dancing. No pool. (The Billiard Room became a room for Lucy's plants.)

But enough about the other Lemonade Lucy. Let's get on with celebrating our own Lucy.

Here she is, already smiling and comfortable in her new home. Lucy's first thought when in a new situation is, "What do these people need to do in order to get along with me?"



Such a tiny little thing, she already had the "show dog strut" when she walked.


For size comparison...here she is parallel with two-year-old Ellie.


She loved to play with Ellie from the beginning. At first we didn't allow Ellie to interact much because Lucy was so little and could have been accidentally injured. The happiest day of Ellie's life came when the veterinarian said Lucy was big enough for them to play. Imagine Lucy's surprise when she ran to jump on Ellie, only to find herself flipped over. The shocked look on her face was priceless. Even today, when they rough house, Ellie is the victor.




Lucy didn't care as much for soft cuddly toys. Her favorite was a hard ball which she would push and tumble all over the place.



Even as a young puppy, Lucy always found a good place to sleep.




That aspect hasn't changed in the last five years. She still can sleep better than any dog I know.


Lucy has brought a new dimension of joy to our lives. She may be the smartest dog I've ever seen. She was not as easy to train as Ellie was. When we trained Ellie, she quickly learned the response and was consistent in performing it. Lucy, on the other hand had a lot of questions about every command. For the simple command "sit" Lucy wanted to know, "Oh, you mean NOW?" "Oh, you mean HERE?" "Oh, you mean I should stay sitting?" "How long do I have to sit?" "Oh, this command applies no matter where we are?"


Lucy is a wonderful dog and very loving. In spite of her impish ways, she really hates to be scolded. She has hilarious expressions and a great sense of humor. She observes every little thing and given opposable thumbs, she could assemble a swing set. She is a perfect compliment to our Ellie and I cannot imagine one without the other.


How is the summer passing by so quickly? Like most of the southeast and eastern seaboard we are having really hot weather. Needless to say, it's early morning and late evening walks for the Golden Girls.


Have a wonderful and safe weekend. Remember: the most important things in life are not things.

28 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

She was adorable and is now beautiful. I'm glad the two of them compliment eachother. Sounds as if Lucy keeps life interesting for all around her.

How Sam Sees It said...

Great story! She really is beautiful, and the pair of them are absolutley stunning!

Sam

The Bug said...

What a cutie! And apparently a hot mess. I always love Fridays are Golden...

kks said...

they are both adorable! what would we do without our beloved dogs? seize the day...the humidity finally left this morning...more later in the week....arg
a great weekend to you all!
xoxo

George said...

A belated happy birthday to Lucy! She certainly was a cute puppy and is still beautiful -- as is Elle.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Happy belated birthday to Lucy! She's just a fun and beautiful dog! I love seeing your goldens.

Cheryl said...

What a sweet little pup and now as she gently ages, she is very beautiful.

I love the size comparison, she looked so tiny.....

I would not miss Friday's are golden for anything...

Enjoy the summer.....these are special days.......

Valerie Cummings said...

Once again, love Golden fridays!! What a great reat to see Lucy as a puppy!!! Happy Birthday to Lucy!!!! have a great weekend!!! Hugs Joey and Kealani

Rudee said...

Thank goodness your Lucy is no stick in the mud. She's adorable and as evidenced by your photos, she's always been that way.

Happy Birthday, Curmudgeonless Lucy.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a cute post.... I love both of your babies... They are both so well-behaved (thanks to you and hubby).

Interesting how their personalities are so different.... Reminds me of George and me... I hope your girls die about the same time... Not sure they can live without each other now... I can't imagine ever losing George. I'm not sure we could live without one another...

Hugs,
Betsy

KGMom said...

I love the photos of older dog and puppy. In fact, quite inspiring, as our new dog looks like a dog who "needs" another dog!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I really loved your tribute to Lucy!! It's my dream to one day like you, have a dog (or 2) from the time they are a sweet little puppy like Lucy to a Golden old age, instead of after they have a story or two to tell!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Thank you so much for this post full of smiles!!!
I love that you retired early to take care of your pups...you are wonderful and caring people.
Happy late birthday to Lucy, she is a doll.
As far as lemonade Lucy, I can see the ban on alchohol, but dancing and cards? what would people be left with????

Have a wonderful weekend.
Enjoy your beautiful girls.

Cicero Sings said...

Enjoyed this post ... watching Lucy grow! What a cutie of a pup she was.

Anonymous said...

I love reading her history. She was an adorable pup and has grown into a very beautiful dog.

Barb said...

Thank goodness your Lucy is a great deal more fun than the First Lady! Goldens are the cutest puppies - and have the best personalities. Hope your lunch finally happened. Have a good weekend,Carolyn.

KB said...

I LOVE your description of Lucy. I feel like I know her. What a cute furball she was and still is! I also love how you describe Lucy being trained. I've met a dog or two like that!

The summer is flying by, much too fast for me. I'm glad that you're enjoying yours!

Vicki Lane said...

I'm always in favor of at least two dogs so that they can do dog stuff rather than just interact with their humans. Such beautiful girls!

Rose said...

What a delightful post, and a belated Happy Birthday to Lucy! Seeing the puppy pictures of Lucy reminds me of how quickly they grow up. Our Sophie, also a Golden, came to us when she was 3 months old, and it seems she grew to full size in such a short time. I see the resemblance between her and Lucy in their sleeping preferences:) Oh dear, now you've made me want to get another puppy:)

I haven't visited here in a long time, Carolyn, and I don't know why...I could look at photos of your Golden Girls and read about their antics every day.

Golden Samantha said...

Thanks for the wonderful history lesson about Lucy Hayes! And I have to tell you... I'm totally relating to what you're saying about their interraction! I'm amazed that Sammie is so tolerant of Avalon's bitey face! Sam's really awesome about her and they seem to have a great time playing! Your two are simply gorgeous and seem to have been made for each other!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie, Mom and Av

carolina nana said...

THOSE ARE BOTH BEAUTIFUL DOGS AND ITS GOOD THAT THEY HAVE EACH OTHER. AND ITS NOT A TYPO MY E-MAIL IS MOUNTAINNENA@GMAIL.COM
MOUNTAINNANA WAS ALREADY TAKEN AND SINCE G-SON CALLS ME NENA ANYWAY IT FIT !! BLESSINGS TO YOU AND THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND ENCOURAGEMENT MARILYN

Jayne said...

How fun to see Lucy next to the older and wiser Ellie when she first came to live with you! I wonder if Ellie feels much more maternal towards Lucy due to the age difference? You have two really beautiful girls. :c)

D.K. Wall said...

Happy birthday, even if we are a little late. Loved the story of your name and seeing you grow up, Lucy.

kenju said...

Such beautiful dogs!! The puppy is so precious and there is nothing cuter!

Shelley said...

This was wonderful reading about the history of your sweet Lucy! What an adorable pup she was and what a beautiful girl she has grown into. That Ellie is a looker too! I know they must both bring so much joy! (I would like to get another Bernese Mtn dog for Scout, she just loves playing w/ other dogs so much that I think the time has come to get her a companion too.)

troutbirder said...

Having recently read David McCulloughs John Adams biography my opinion of him increased greatly. Abigail was always at the top along with Eleanor. "Please remember the Ladies" Abigail advice to her Founcing Father husband.

Anonymous said...

The dogs are beautiful, and so is the quote.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

I loved this post. You write beautifully!!! Words are not my cup of tea. I am dyslexic and have worked very hard to live in the world and work in the world. But no matter how old we are we keep learning!!!
Want to be friend, Fern